Help ID this weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PINEISLAND1, Jun 21, 2001.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

Does anyone recognize this weed, and have any control advice? It is from a friends floral/greenhouse complex, and appears to have come in in some bark. It seems to resist roundup pro, and is showing up all around the buildings and in the chips around his yard.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I'd love to know what that is too. It really can take over a bed!

Eric

3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

This plant is a perenial called Horsetail (Equisetum arvense). It is really hard to control. I have had some success with roundup if you keep going at it every couple of weeks until you get it all. It comes in bark and loves to grow in dry places. Digging it out and constant hoeing helps. We see a lot of it up here in Central Ontario

4. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

Thanks for the replies.

i thought that horsetail was larger, like the reeds along waterways. This stuff is the diameter of pencil lead. Here is a link to weedalerts page about horsetail.

http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_horsetail.htm

Is that what it is?

(this picture is taken on my 8.5x11 inch briefcase.)

5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

around here i've heard it called horses mane,and a real hot mixture of a three way,and round up pro will definetly smoke those weeds.what ever they're called.

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey PINEISLAND,

Horsetail is my guess too. It can get really bad around here. I would agree with repeated apps. of round up. Its hard to pull cause it breaks so easy. It can be a real nightmare.

7. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

This is horsetail. Unfortunately it spreads with an extensive system of roots and impossible to pull as they just break and grow again. These roots will grow another plant everytime it is broken...therefore rototilling is sometime this weed loves. One source actually showed roots spreading 10 FEET underground.

I have found roundup at 4-6x recommended strength kills it.

Try searching the web for horsetail weed. Oddly, you will get a bunch of hits on healthfood stores...they seem to sell this as a 'herb' supplement.

8. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the input. I'll tell him to "up" the doses of R-up Pro and see what happens!

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

If that is horsetail, ours is larger, Casoron will supress it. Beware of aps near turf or water sources. Round up will not work on Horsetail, Tri-Mec does and so does Confront.

10. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Horsetail has 2 types of growth. The young growth is the small thein 6-12" tall stuff we see in the beds and the tall thick reeds are the mature form