Help ID this..

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by chimmygew, Jun 11, 2006.

1. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who has this in her tree and it is dying off quick. It is a silver maple about 30 - 35 ft tall. Can anyone tell me what it is?

leaf problem.jpg

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. it looks bad. At first, I thought it looked like Anthracnose, in which you would be fine in time, but this looks much worse. Do some research and don't waste time.

3. chimmygew

anthracnose is also what I thought at first, but am not sure. Most of the leaves are turning the black color in the pic and falling off, but the two small ones have that creamy pink looking fungus on the back, so does that raise the possibilty of 2 diseases or different stages of the same one? What is best to do with anthracnose? Will it come out of it? It is spreading pretty fast.

4. chimmygew

Bump...........:confused:

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Patience... It generally takes more than 25 minutes to elicit a lucid, informative answer to such a question as yours... myself, I've got no friggin' clue...

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I belive it is ANTHRACNOSE. It is a fungus.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

You need only post once. I answered that I thought it was anthracnose also. Let it go and you might loose the tree. My moms S/O had it in his silver map Last year. we caught it in time but the tree still has not made a decent come back. reduced storage for the winter months will kill the tree.

8. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I get the same thing with my ouarge trees. It's a leaf miner I believe? They feed between the leaf and make zig zag lines ever where. Spray the tree with insect killer,that takes care of mine. If thats what it is?

9. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Could be a fungus? Spray it with liquid copper and mix in the insect killer.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Chimmygew.

Looked up possable diseases for silver maple in "diseases of trees and shrubs" by sinclair, lyon, johnson and I believe it is Anthracnose. This disease happens in cooler wet springs. It will NOT kill the tree, just looks bad. Here in New Jersey we see this a LOT in Sycamore and Ash. I am Mauget certified, and I use Fungisol Microinjection per companys recommendations, in September right before leaves begin to turn their fall colors. The Fungicide is now in the tree, and when spring comes, the fungicide is in the leaf to protect from this disease. I am getting 2 years control, from each treatment.

But before you consider any treatment, you must take some of those leaves to your counties Cooperative Extension Office to confirm, this is indeed the problem. Also pricing info in case you are not certified to do microinjections. Here it's about $20 per inch DBH (dia Breast Height) + stop fee. You may just want to have an expert make the application properly, as placement of the feeder tubes is key. OR the "old way" of spraying the tree every year when leaves are almost fully expanded. I find microinjection to be better IMO.

Get the Diagnosis first...don't panic.

Pete