Help ID this....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobcat175, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the picture. Can someone help identify this?
    Is this bentgrass, tall fescue, nutsedge?
    What's the best way to control this?
    Thanks to all in advance.

tall_fescue.jpg

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like goosegrass.

3. bobcat175

Thanks for the response but quoted from weedalert... "Goosegrass is found in the United States from the transition zone south" I'm in NH.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i'd say nimblewill. Dealing with the same problem right now. goes off color in cool weather and it grows dense. I aerified and overseeded heavy in those areas to try and crowd out for next, seeing that it really isn't growing right now.

5. bobcat175

The only arguement there is that I've read that nimblewill is in moist, shaded sites. The areas that I have this in in the sun all day long. Zero shade.

6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i've got it on 2 sunny properties as well. And right now it looks like dormant bermuda which is a dead giceaway.

7. LarryF

Whatever you say. Goosegrass is found in NJ though, which is only about a hundred miles south of NH, longitudinally. I'm was only trying to help.

http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp

8. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

on either the pesticide and fertilizer forum or the maint. and renovation forum there was a positive id of this weed, i have it too, that's why I paid attention. Unfortunately i can't remember what it was, it is definitely tough to kill, and seems to spread...

i ran a slit seeder through it in various directions, it really seemed to tear it up, we'll have to see if the new grass crowds it out...i doubt it though...

it definitely wasn't goosegrass...

good luck,

Steve

9. bobcat175

I did say "thanks"... and I was only quoting what I read. Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I was only trying to narrow down the responses.

10. LarryF

No problem. Bif seems to agree with you, but he still hasn't made a specific ID. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. I didn't really take what you wrote the wrong way, but I did provide reference to another authority (The NJ state university, Rutgers) that indicated that goosegrass does, in fact, grow in the northeast. So it appears that there is a difference of opinion regarding this point among experts.