1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Ideas for improving landscaping near front of home

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pglover19, Jul 7, 2007.

1. pglover19

pglover19 LawnSite Member

I need some help in improving the landscaping near the front of my home. This landscape has existed the past three years, and I am trying to improve the curb appeal of the house. The picture attached only shows the landscaping on the left front of the house, but the same design is replicated on the right front of the house. From left to right, the plantings includes 1 Nellie Stevens Holly, 5 purple-red barberries, 2 American hollies, 1 large blue spiral juniper, 1 small alberta spruce spiral juniper, 7 goldmound spirea, and 9 variegated liriope.

Please give me advise of how I can improve the curb appeal of my landscaping near the front of the house....

Copy of Copy of DCP_0164.jpg
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That is one hell of a house!! nice
  3. pglover19

Thank you...

Can you give me some landscaping suggestions to improve the look.. Need more curb appeal to make the neighbors said "wow"....
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe add some colored stone to off set the mulch.
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would not fix was isnt broken. Nice home and landscape.
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not your neighbor, but I'm saying 'Wow'. Looks nice to me.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing wrong with that landscape at all IMO.
  8. mattfromNY

In going back to the pic a few times, it just looks like the house is so big, and the landscaping is so small (Low to the ground). Is the property pretty big? it looks like an estate, I picture a row of trees lining the driveway coming up to it, and possibly a large one or two weeping trees adding some height and shade to the property, or an island bed in the front yard with some larger plantings. What about some type of vine, like English ivy or a Euonymous or something creeping up the bricks? Something to soften up all that brick. I'm just throwing out ideas, dont hammer me too hard.
  9. mattfromNY

Pull that front sidewalk out into a circle and put in a big ole' fountain right in front of the front door, and add some landscape lighting. Everything is too symetrical and square. Add some plantings onto this side of the sidewalk.
  10. pglover19

This is not an estate... The house is very long (85 foot).. The driveway to the house is not long either (about 100 foot). I would like to add some trees on the back row near the house that has some height to it but not too high that it will cover the windows....