Help identify this 32" Metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 16, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi guys,
    I was given this eXmark 32" Metro w/b in this condition, had been disassembled, sandblasted, and is minus engine, front casters, spindles and some other misc. objects I don't know about yet. The serial number decal got blasted off by the sandblaster so I don't know the numbers on it. Could you tell me by looking at the following pics what serial number range it might be in so I can get a parts and operators manual and so I can get parts for it? I plan on rebuilding it. Thanks,
    Eric :)

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Now for pictures of this baby beast...

exmark32_1.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

BushHogBoy,

That might be difficult. The best thing to do would be to call us and we'll try and figure it out. You can reach us at 800-667-5296. Some things we'll want to know are:

Is the tank a square box or does it looks like the current one with Exmark molded into the front.

What type of baffling is under the deck? Does it have front baffles and what do they look like?

Try to find out if the original spindles were greaseable or maintenance free.

Is the gear shift held in place with a nut on the stud of the transmission or a bolt that threads into the stud on the transmission?

It's a start. We may not be able to figure out what the exact manual is but we should be able to get close.

Thanks

Terry

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Man this is a PITA waiting for messages to be reviewed. I noticed that the second pic didnt' work right let me try again, and I have others, one of under the deck but its not real good.
    Terry,
    The gas tank is not here, neither are the spindles. The gear shifter isn't the original either and not sure if the tranny is even original. As for deck baffling, I will attach a pic of under the deck if you can see it good. I'm trying to go through the pdf's of manuals on the eXmark website and find the mower that looks like mine but the cover pic doesn't show a 32" just a larger 48" or so mower which doesn't look much like mine at all really. Thanks for your help,
    Eric

exmark32_2.jpg

6. eXmark

BushHogBoy,

Sorry the photo had not posted yet when I responded.

What you've got there is a Striped Grassasaurus Rex, native only to North America. Plant eater, prefers native grasses but will consume other species as well.

Actually she's a Standard Five speed. We won't be able to tell with 100% accuracy which manual is for your machine but we can get close.

Just e-mail me with your name and mailing address and we will be able to get you a manual that should do the trick.

Thanks

Terry

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks for the fast reply Terry. You can tell it's serial number range by the spindle cover pan? Cool. I will email you that information. Here's another shot.

exmark32_3.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Under deck photo...

exmark32_underdeck.jpg

9. eXmark

Hog,

Correction! Lenny spotted the gear selector tab welded to the handle bar and your last photo reveals the final clue. You've got an old Variable Speed model. This is the great grandfather to the Grassasaurus Rex. We'll get the correct manuals out to you ASAP.

The gearbox threw me off. A previous owner added that transmission to your machine.

Just a suggestion, after you get the manuals, do a complete inventory of the parts you have and the parts you need. Most of those old mowers worked great but were expensive to build. They are even more expensive to repair depending upon what they need.

Thanks

Terry

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Terry,
    I got the mower from a lawnsite member, AlanKY who thinks it may be a 1994 model??? I don't think he got it new but I could be wrong. He didn't say anything about owners manuals for it so maybe he didn't. He never said anything about swapping gearboxes either so apparently the trade was made before he got it. He also gave me a spare gearbox for it, the one on it is a 5 speed with a reverse assist that he said didn't work that good, so he got the second one for $15 and it has a positive reverse. He threw it in as well as a one wheel velke. I was planning on "taking inventory" of the parts I had and needed after I got the books. Hey, do you think that maybe just these handlebars are wrong and it really is a geardrive? I don't know much about them really. The spindle cover deck that still has the paint and pinstripes on it says "32" on it, but after measuring it some (not real carefully) it seems like it could almost be a 36" mower. It has two blades but the total width is about 36 1/2" outside of deck, which is just like mentioned in the owner's manual dimensions for the 36" Metro (earliest one available on exmark website). The spindles seem inward enough from the deck to hold a 18" blade as well... But the tires do seem awful wide tread for the deck like a 32, as a 36 seems set inward a little for better trimming. Hmm.... this thing has obviously seen better days LOL. We dont' have the numbers on it, we don't know if it's variable speed or gear drive originally, we don't know the exact width of cut, etc. LOL what a jalopy. I got your emails, thanks.
    Here's a pic of the velke and spare gearbox and some of the parts for it.

Thanks alot,
    Eric

exmark32_partsandvelke.jpg