Help identify this plant!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Jun 10, 2011.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing today and brushed up next to this weed which was about 4 feet tall. As it turns out it has thousands of thin but VERY sharp prickers all over it. It seems that the prickers break off and then stay in your skin causing it to burn. Any ideas what the plant is called?

entire plant.jpg

close up.jpg

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That looks to be a Stinging Nettle, unfortunately that's also the only thing that comes to mind
    besides the few plants I know that isn't, but that's what I think it likely could be, a stinging nettle.

The pain is intense and lasts for some time, but is otherwise temporary and except for severe cases, mostly harmless.
    Just burns like a biatch, really.

3. stevesmowing

Bingo! Anyone got any good tips on getting rid of it? It's taking over part of their property. Just Roundup it?

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You can also eat it after its prepared.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently Round-up kills them quite well, although some follow-up may be required.

6. stevesmowing

after what it did to my arm no thank you. I read in Europe there is a contest to see who can eat the most! That's crazy!!!!

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

That is a contest for who wants to get stung. When prepared correctly it doesn't sting. No worries.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Stinging Nettle is used in a lot of health foods and suppliments. Just check the label sometime when you are at a store.