Help identify this weed please...pics

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CT John, Jun 6, 2004.

1. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Weed-b-gon doesn't seem to be very effective for this weed. Any ideas what it is and how I could take care of the problem? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I'm guessing field pansy..which is part of the violet family. It will require several applications to kill it.

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Round up works the best or of course a more commercial type of killer if u can get ahold of some

4. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't appear to be field pansy/violet. Also, the weed is throughout my lawn so round-up is not an option. Any other ideas?

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Are you buying premixed weedbgone?
    If so buy some concentrate and mix it yourself. It may still take more than one application but it will probably work better for you.
    Never buy premix,it just doesn't work as well,it is diluted to maximum dilution for obvious reasons.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I will try to remember to get the proper name for "weed"
    I am familiar with it but my brain is in numb mode right now.
    The reason I offer this is because there are 2 different weed be gone products,the standard and the clover,oxalis,etc.etc.
    Both list many types that it is supposed to be effective on but if using the wrong product you will be frustrated.

7. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips dvmcmrhp52. I was using the standard concentrate mixed at the maximum recommended dilution of I think it was 2 oz/gallon. I'm going to try re-applying it in another week or so. Just a tough weed I guess. No ideas what it is?

8. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

John
    I looked for a solid hour last night, and still could not find the exact match of your weed. It looks like a cross between several weeds. I think you would be better off getting a broadleaf killer instead of normal weed b gone. Let me know if you find the name of the weed!!! ( My guess: a sort of henbit or speedwell.)

9. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help blaze. Yeah, I was sort of leaning towards speedwell also. Weed-b-Gon is a broadleaf weed killer. If you were meaning a more powerful professional-type post-emergent like momentum or confront, I wish I could. Too expensive for the little I would use, but I have thought of calling a good local LCO to spray one or two apps for me. I'll see what happens after the second application of the weed-b-gon.

10. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member