Help Identify Weed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by atpackard, Apr 6, 2013.

1. atpackard

atpackard LawnSite Member

Getting started on the lawn at our new house and think this forum is great! Please help me to identify this weed and any solutions for getting it out of my lawn. Thank you in advance!!

I think the pictures should be attached?

photo.JPG

photo(1).JPG

photo(2).JPG

2. shawnlc

shawnlc LawnSite Member
    from na

Looks like purple dead nettle. Make sure you pull it up and get the roots or it has the tendency to regrow.

3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to lowes or Home Depot. But ortho weed b gone. The dial and spray canister that you fill with the liquid concentrate should work good. Or you could get the premix that hooks to the hose
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just henbit. Will die soon with the heat. It's a little hard to kill with Chems at this time of year
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree it's henbit and will die soon. Use a pre emergent to prevent it next year.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Does MA get heat like NC??? how long will this stuff grow in the northeast???

To me it looks like a whole bunch of catnip...

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It is ..... it is NOT henbit.

8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Kiril, after taking another look, you are correct. Same family, both mint like plants, and both can be killed with the same chemical. They are often seen as the same when you are identifying weeds BC of all of the similarities.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The first pic is the key to identifying it correctly. What is the distinguishing feature?

10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Uhhhh, I'll take a shot..........Henbit has heart-shaped leaves with scalloped edges. The Purple Dead Nettle has triangular shaped leaves that grow in a big clump.