1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Identifying a Weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dafury, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Dafury

Dafury LawnSite Member

Hey All,
    I'm hoping the pros can point me in the right direction on this one. I haven't been able to figure this weed out. I'm military and returned from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago. My absence through the spring, coupled with some pretty bad winter-kill/damage to the bermuda in my back yard meant my turf was in pretty rough shape when I got home. Fertilizer/water has the backyard improving...but I'm having issues with this one particular weed (pics attached...I think).

Is this a broadleaf weed or a grassy weed? I can't even tell. It doesn't seem to grow very high, instead slowly expanding in as a circle. It is a very tight bunch. It didn't flinch when I sprayed the back yard with a heavy dose of spectracide weedstop...which makes me think it's a "grassy" weed.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Are there any consumer-level herbicides that can be used against it in a Bermuda yard?

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Virginia buttonweed,

metsulfuron which marketed under various brand names is what I recommend