Help identifying grassy weed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by msm10301, Aug 23, 2008.

1. msm10301

msm10301 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner that is new to this forum, and I could use some help identifying a grassy weed that is taking over my back yard. I've attached some pics to try and help. Basically this stuff is spreading along the ground and you can pull it up in clumps. It turns brown in areas and only the tip remain green. Any ideas for identification and control would be appreciated. I live in Michigan

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like common bermuda grass.

I have not seen any effective way to get rid of the stuff. I am close friends with one of the biggest Fert/Squirt companies in the area and they have been testing all kinds of products to reduce the infestations here and nothing is providing positive results.

3. msm10301

msm10301 LawnSite Member

OK, so what do I do to get rid of it? Roundup the infested areas? It there a type of grass that I can overseed with that will be more dominant than the the Bermuda grass in Michigan?

4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

around here Burmuda grass is like herpes, once ou've got it, you've got it for good. you can round up it but it will be a forever fight.

5. msm10301

msm10301 LawnSite Member

Thanks Sweet Tater, I see your in the deep south, I'm wondering if I can overseed this fall with a more competitive desirable grass that will choke out the Burmuda.

6. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

only thing that chokes out bermuda is crabgrass...not a good option

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Bermuda in Michigan? I don't think so. I think the frost would kill it, but I've been wrong before. Round-up should take care of it.

8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i don't know what kind of grass you have the bermuda in, but Sethoxydim (aka Poast or Grass Getter and others, i'm sure) will kill it and bahia, as well. i have killed both in my centipede yard. the grass needs to be actively growing. do not cut the grass for a week or so bf or after application and heed the warnings regarding application in high temps. you will likely have to continue the battle with some type of pre-emergent, as any seeds that have previously dropped will sprout. it may take 2-3 years to totally eradicate it.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up nimblewill and see if that doesn't resemble what you have there.

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

As for bermuda in Michigan, I don't go there much, but I do believe it is there. I am constantly fending off bermuda from a neighbors lawn here in the Chicago area. They told me it came from pines transplanted from their michigan home. It's roots can go quite deep and that must be why it survives the winters. I have pulled roots out from 24 inches down.