Help Identifying & Idea Needed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Angelina23, May 16, 2008.

1. Angelina23

Angelina23 LawnSite Member

This is my first post here. I am also new to gardening. I have three plants in my backyard that I don't know what they are and what I should do with them.
    I also have three well caps that I don't know what to do with. Any ideas on how to jazz them up?

Could someone help me? Thank you very much in advance!
    (this is one of the areas that I am starting to work on)
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The contractor that put those well heads in ought to be shot.

Cover them over with grass/sod. Easy enough to get to them if you need to.
    Looks like you need to renovate that whole section of the lawn anyway.
  3. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

Hi Angelina,

Your first plant could be one of many. I'm not that good at id from just leaves most of the time. It could be anything from tall phlox (not all have hairy stems) to one of the salvias. You may have to wait until it flowers for id. Are the stems square? That would make it a member of the mint family, though it doesn't have to smell like mint. It could even be some type of aster.

Rudbeckia aka Blackeyed Susan?

Your second pic looks like Achillea aka yarrow. Comes in many colors and can be floppy, especially in rich soil.

Your third one looks like some type of mum aka Chrysanthemum.

For your well covers I'm not sure what to suggest other then making a garden and incorporating the covers into it to look like stones or rocks. Maybe even putting some medium sized rocks on top of the covers to hide them and the handles, but not too many so you can't have access. If the tree in the background is close enough to make it feasable, remove the turf from the entire area and incorporate that tree into the garden. It would benefit from not having grass right up to the trunk anyway.

Here's some ideas for an island garden bed.

In this picture the tree could be incorporated into the bed with a less formal design. The tree is planted too deeply as the rootflare isn't showing and the mulch ring is much too small, especially contrasting with the larger bed and the size of the tree canopy.

This one includes a path. Your covers could even be made to look like stepping stones.

See how a few large to medium sized rocks are used here.

Here's how these folks did their garden. Where they extended from the shrubs, you would extend from the tree I see in the background.

For your last picture, I don't know what the sun conditions are, but you seem to have a mix of part sun, shade and full sun plants. You might find that a problem as summer goes on. I get your hardiness zone as 5, so with the cooler weather the shade plants might be ok. If you aren't sure of your hardiness zone you can check it here.

Were those iris just transplanted? They are best moved at the end of summer. You might find this helpful.

The lily of the valley you might want to move to a spot that is either surrounded by concrete or a naturalized area. They will eventually take over the bed and you'll be pulling them out along with your hair.

I would suggest you make a well defined edge to the bed or the ajuga will eventually be a good part of your lawn. It likes to take over too. I planted it in a garden bed next to my lawn and find it escapes rather easily. It prefers shade and burns in my zone 7 garden in sun. The tree it used to be under had to be cut down. Maybe a dropped lawn edge as shown here if you scroll down.,1785,HGTV_3567_1398447,00.html

Hope that helps,
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

On the first one, I just went out and checked my ozark sundrops and it looks exactly like them. Second and third, I say yarrow and then mum or some other daisey, also.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Evening primrose is another name for the ozark sundrops.