1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Identifying this bush

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HydroCutter, Sep 20, 2006.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I am going to try and attach a picture. I am going to pull out that 1/2 a bush that is there in the front, and the homeowner wants me to get a similar bush to the evergreen in the right of this photo. Can someone give tell me what kind of evergreen this bush is.

Thank you

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not the best photo, but it looks like it might be a yew, or possibly a hemlock. It is really easy to tell with a good photo, but there is no sense of scale or detail in that one.

If I had to bet, I'd go with it being a yew. The funny thing was that when I saw the picture and had not yet read the post, I thought it was potentilla.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

When in doubt I always take a sample piece to a nursery we go to.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

5. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the pic, it came from my cell phone.
  6. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is a yew, I think specificaly Taxus x media, or anglojap yew, a hybrid of Japanese and english yews. The cultivar densiformis is very popular in our area.