1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help identifying this grass

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by MGenay, Jul 30, 2013.

1. MGenay

MGenay LawnSite Member

Here's a couple pictures of it. I'm having trouble killing the light green grass off. Not sure what it is and what to put down to kill it. I am already putting down a crab grass preventer, 2 weed and feeds, and a winterizer every year. Tried spot spraying this with weedbgone but didn't have any luck.

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Nut sedge....
    sedge hammer works great
    or go to the big box store and they have a spray bottle of nutsedge killer ... works great!
  3. MGenay

MGenay LawnSite Member

Awesome thanks! That was pretty painless, I'll pick up some of the herbicide. Out of curiosity though what is a sedge hammer or was that a misspelled sledge and you were making a joke?
  4. trock

Sedge hammer is a chemical that will kill it too but it cost a little more. Just get the stuff at the big bkx store its in a green bottle. Dont pull the grass out it will break and multiply....
  5. MGenay

MGenay LawnSite Member

Already pulled some out, I won't do that any more. Thanks for the help.
  6. trock

Theres nuts on the bottom and most break off and grow if pulled even though it looks like it all came out it didnt
  7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

This time of the year spray Sulfentrazone (dismiss), Sedgehammer will promote tillering while dieing late in the season. You can also tank mix sedgehammer and dismiss. Might cause yellow on turf stand but ultimate is to control spread of nutsedge.
  8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Can be weeded. They come up easy. Pulling them does not cause them to multiply. Nutsedge sends out a large rhizome/root network that will send up new plants.

Just keep picking and eventually the rhizome's energy stores will be depleted and will not be able to grow new shoots, so the root system then dies off.
  9. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have seen a ton of it this year in Indiana. I have customers that have it. I really don't mind it gives me something to cut in this dry spell.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Can not stop it by pulling, or digging em up. And it will be back next year even with chemical spraying. At least that is how nut grass works in our area.