Help Identifying this Toro Valve (pic attached)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JTT, Sep 2, 2010.

1. JTT

JTT LawnSite Member
    from WA

Hello all.

I am trying to fix an older Toro zone valve (probably 10+ years old). It appears to be leaking from the bottom of the black collar in the area circled in red. It only leaks when the zone is activated by the master controller. It is not leaking when the system is turned off.

Do any of you know which model of Toro valve this may be? Any ideas what the problem might be? Would it be easier to just replace the entire valve, or can I open it up and replace a seal? I suppose it is possible something cracked last winter as it was quite cold and we were late in winterizing the system.

Thank you!

Josh

valve.jpg

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Does it leak when any zone is running or just this particular zone? It sounds like you have a master valve that prevents it from continously leaking.

They are old school toro jar top with daisy chain solenoids...

with high water pressure over time they loosen up

Turn off the water, depressurize and tighten down... you may need to dig up the box to get a good grip on it

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  3. JTT

JTT LawnSite Member
    from WA

What portion needs to be tightened down exactly? Is it the large black collar located within the red circle in the picture?

Thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

4. mitchgo

Yes that part, you must turn off your system and depressurize the main line by turning on a few zones from the controller while the system is off.

Use a large set of channel locks, I would recommend to dig up the valve box so you can get a good angle.

DO NOT turn the Smaller red section below the solenoid, that is a flow control and if you turn it it may damage your valve

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Replace the valve, they suck!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mitchgo

I'm assuming he is a homeowner and if this is the case I recommend to tighten it first.

Yes they do suck

7. JTT

JTT LawnSite Member
    from WA

It's my rental property, but I'd like to avoid digging it up unless I have to.

If a replacement is necessary, can you suggest which brand/model valve to use which would be the most direct replacement?

You guys have any tips/tricks on getting it out of there? Would I have to cut the PVC or can I unscrew the valve from the PVC? It looks like it's threaded.

8. mitchgo

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Those are Toro 1" Flo Pro valves.

I replaced two of them (the A/S version) at my house last week where one was leaking just where yours is.

Seemed to me something or someone must have bumped into the solenoid (on mine)... it wouldn't thread in straight up anymore. Not worth trying to fix. Replace with something better.

Rain Bird DVFs would do it.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Worst valve ever made. Replace them both. RB DVs are the way to go.
    Those Toro valves seemed to be even worse if it was well water. The diaphragms liked to hold sludge/sediment and then they wouldn't close. And of course the crappy solenoid.