1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Iding and Killing Cool Season Grassy Weeds in Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by overtona, Mar 31, 2013.

1. overtona

overtona LawnSite Member

Can anyone help me identify this grassy weed in my Bermuda? How do I go about getting rid of it? I'm tempted to spot treat with round-Up.

2013-03-30 18.56.20.jpg
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Post some close ups of the grass in question. Can't see the grass characteristics from long shots. Get as close as possible.
  3. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it poa?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I would bet money on the shorter narrow leaf clumps being Poa and the larger wider leaf clumps being Rescuegrass.

Celcius with MSO will help transition them faster in 70 plus temps but not listed on label.
    Two things that do have them listed are Certainty and Revolver. If you are just treating this lawn I would personally buy Certainty and a surfactant for the job [that is if you know how to callibrate a sprayer]. Remember a pre emergent in the Fall is the best.
  5. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Which pre's do you like for rescue?
  7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I believe that the only one [out of the major three] that actually has it listed is Prodiamine and it says suppression only. I use mainly Prodiamine in late Feb - early March and again in June, then I use Simazine in Oct and have good luck on the Poa and Rescuegrass. We have pretty high pressure from Poa in this area and very high pressure from Rescuegrass in my area so I am not going to say they are 100% clean but say only a few clumps of each.

SOONER GREEN LawnSite Member

I agree, looks like rescue and poa. Celsius, Certainty, Tribute, Revolver all should work. Celsius will take 2 apps. Round up mixed with Princep will be the least expensive app but has to be done before transition which is probably too late for most bermuda.
    Best pre for annual winter grass in bermuda is 2 qts Princep in the fall. I said best, Specticle may be best but considering the cost per acre i say Princep.

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, looks like fescue. In Greenville your bermuda should still be mostly dormant. Shoot it with roundup @ 2oz/ gal, will take a while but it will die. Or spend $200+ on Revolver and it will still take a while.
  10. overtona

overtona LawnSite Member

I've been hitting it with roundup. The results are still very slow given the cool temperatures. Roll lover is not an option for just one yard.