Help IDing Tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BRL, Sep 18, 2003.

1. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Father in law is trying to find out if this might be good fire wood. He handed me a small piece of bark, piece from the middle, and a small branch. The bark is rough & brownish, the inside of the tree is a yellowish-orangish type of color (never saw anything like it - distinct), and the branch has thorns with ovate leaves. He says they are very tall & big. Is that enough specifics that somebody might know what it is? I looked through all of my literature but couldn't match it. Thanks for any help.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm. need more info. Maybe a photo. But I'll venture a guess - Black Locust

3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Dido. Bark with thorns.Locust

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds like black locust.Best firewood for heating there is.
    But it aint no fun to split by hand,very stringy like hickory.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I am going to agree with everybody else here. Black locust. If you are going to burn the wood, use a splitter to bust it up, and keep a good sharp axe around. Many people do however use locust for fence posts and things of that nature.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yep,
    great rot resistance.Farmers love it for fence posts.

7. I'd like to see a pic of the wood. I have 2 black locust and though they have a yellow tint its not that distinctive. Possibly the higher Ph here makes for the color difference.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Osage orange crossed my mind also, but I've never cut one down to see what color the wood is.

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"It is ring porous and commonly confused with black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)."

From one of the Osage Orange links. You guys are good! Thank you. It has to be the Osage Orange. I know locusts, and the leaf branch he gave me was not like those. Sounds like it will make a good firewood. Very hard wood for sure. He said when he tried splitting it the axe bounced off, but the same day he was splitting other types of wood with no problem. Thanks again.