Help! If it just rained, should I still cut?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 28, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Got my first schedualed mowing today but it rained for like the last 3 hours prior. I'm not sure if it's going to rain anymore soon but it's not sunny. Will it hurt my mower if I cut the grass when it's wet like this, or the line trimmer? If I don't do it today, I may have to wait 2-3 days cause it's a lotta rain in the near forcast. Should I wait or go ahead and cut it while it's wet?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

its not really going to hurt anything. its not going to be fun to clean up the clumps that your going to leave behind. does it absolutley need to be cut? or can it wait the 2-3 days?

3. green-pa

THey may be willing to wait 2-3 days, but I don't want to loose them as a customer as it's my first one. I don't mind doing a little extra work the first time but just don't want to hurt my new mower and trimmer.

4. Raven386

from CT

what kind of mower are you using?

5. Raven386

from CT

call them and explain to them, either i can cut it today and it may not look as nice, or you can wait until it stops raining and you will be out as soon as it dry enough for you to cut. give them the choice, im sure they will understand.

6. Raven386

from CT

your not going to break your trimmer because the grass is wet, just be careful around the house because your going to end up throwing crap all over it, the same with the mower.

7. green-pa

It's a Troy Built w/ Honda Engine, brand new. It's not commercial and i know commercial is better, but they are like twice as much and I couldn't afford it to start with. I have an old back up in case this one goes out, but I'll upgrade when I can. So far this one starts right up and is one of Lowes better 21's. I spend all I had on my account to get the 3 start up pieces.

I just called the people too. I told her that it may be better to wait a few hours at least for the moisture to settle in so that the grass wouldn't be so wet, that way I'd avoid clumps. She didn't mind and all and told me to come when I can. Will it matter much in a few hours or will the blades of grass still be too wet? If it clumps, I can just rake em up or go over em again right? I've done this on my own yard, I just want to be professional about it as this is my first year in the biz:confused:

8. green-pa

THanks Raven for your quick response! I may try to cut it in a few hours or re-sched. They are very old but very understanding it appears! :)

9. Raven386

from CT

most people are understanding. i say most because eventually you will run into the PITA customers, but dont worry about that. thats what being an LCO is all about! IMO id wait until it was dry out, especially using a 21" you will be out there all day. you can wait a few hours if you want and try and get out there, but if they are alright with you waiting a few days...

10. Raven386

from CT

Good Luck !!!