Help! I'm "Fixing" my Stihl Trimmer - need to ask a couple specific questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KindGardener, Feb 19, 2001.

1. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Hi - I need to be able to email back & forth withsomeone to ask a couple basic quiestions about re-assembling my Stihl Trimmer - such as...

is the magneto-thing "insulated"? (I have a couple little plastic washers)

how far do you "gap" the magneto-thing from the round flywheel-thing... about a matchbook thickness or tow?

stuff like that?

You can tell I'm an expert mechanic... NOT

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not real familiar with the Stihl trimmer but, I doubt the magento is insulated (most others aren't ). However, if there were plastic or graphite washers, try to replace them back in the same order. As per your gapping questions - gap it with a business card. Loosen the mageneto and then slip the card between the magento poles and the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel so that the magent in the wheel pulls the magento toward the flywheel. Tighten the magneto mount bolts and you're all gapped. Remember to rotate the wheel out to remove your gapping tool (business card). Good luck, if you need more help, post.

3. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Hi, thanks for the post.

I did replace the washers (where I think they went - I found them in the cleaning pan beneath the engine when I was cleaning it off). It runs, and starts a whole lot better than it did. It was real gummed up with gooey black crud.

Thanks for the gapping tool tip - the gap is about 6 cards wide now, I'll pull it apart & re-set the magneto.

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure to clean the magnets on the flywheel and the posts on the magneto. If they're gummed up, they can't conduct as well. Use brake cleaner or even carb cleaner (it won't leave a residue). If the flywheel is real bad, take 400 grit sandpaper to it (lightly) to clean it off. Good luck.