Help! I'm new at this.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott_Abel, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Scott_Abel

Scott_Abel LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am looking to buy a new mower, but would like to hear some opinions from those of you that do this for a living and know this stuff.

Let me start by saying...I will be mowing approximately 3.5 acres. There are quite a few obstacles, so I think I am leaning toward a ZTR mower. There are some slopes, but nothing too steep. Also, the area is rocky, and I'm sure I will hit a few rocks from time to time, so I want something that will hold up.

From what I have heard from others thusfar, I am leaning toward a Hustler FasTrak mower with a 52' deck. It comes with either a Honda or Kohler engine in 18 or 20 hp. I know this is a residential mower, not commercial, but again, I am not doing this for a living. What are your thoughts on this mower and these engines?

Also, feel free to recommend others you think would be suitable to the task. I am looking to spend between $5,000 and $7,000.

Thanks in advance.
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

With a 52' deck it shouldnt take you but a few JK I dont own a Hustler...but the guys I know that do...LOVE EM! It'll be the brand I buy when I actually need to buy one. Good Luck!
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Consider a Scag they are a very heavy duty machine. Cuts our southern grass just fine. We run Kohler engines and are happy with them, usually a little cheaper than other options.