1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help In Calibrating Boom/Selecting Nozzle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ed2hess, Feb 23, 2013.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Here's what I would do. Fix that boom so the nozzles are spaced 20". Drop the height to 16". Run AI11004 nozzles at 40 PSI and 5 MPH. That will get you a fairly low drift spray pattern that covers well applying about 20 gallons per acre. The AI nozzles of course, are air inducted.

As an aside, the weather has changed drastically in my state. It is now extremely windy the majority of the time here. Now all of my spray tips are air inducted. Even the disc-core nozzles I use to spray shrubs and flowers.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I will add a few common sense things. Any time you build or adjust your boom recalibrate by driving it on the street course I suggested in my first post. Most important is to watch the drying time on the street for proper distribution of your spray. This IMHO is the easiest way to adjust/tweak nozzles for proper coverage.

By adding a adjustable regulator you can tweak your calibration to a Tee. I have even used Drip Irrigation pressure reducers to lower and produce a constant PSI for better calibration.

One thing to consider when setting up or changing boom nozzles is the PUMP. Cycling off and on is not only hard on the pump but effects calibration big time because of inconstant PSI. Every pump is just a little different and the 12V 2 GPM pump can vary big time. My goal is to always set up a 12V boom sprayer so the Motor never cycles off & on and still delivers sufficient flow to the Boom. That is easier said than done.

Check valves on the nozzles are a must for me. I don't want leaking nozzles after I shut off my boom. I prefer the Brass screen insert type of Check valve over the build in check valves on the nozzle bracket.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I need to go back to grade school but damn if I can find that nozzle:dizzy: I see info about it so yes it exisits but I need a web site to buy the darn thing:hammerhead::hammerhead:

4. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got my Al nozzles but made a rookie mistake and didn't get the special strainer that go with them. The blue strainer is for my old nozzles. Is there anything else I need?

Second question what is the part that I need to hook up the
    pressure gage? yes I know I need some 3/8" hose but that isn't going to slip over that pressure gage thread:dizzy:

024.jpg

024.jpg

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Bump up for another try at help in hooking up that gage?/

8. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Get a female threaded tee and hook it up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pinestraw is right. Install a pipe tee. Add a pipe nipple (2 inches long). Then you probably need a couple pipe reducer bushings to get down to 3/8ths pipe thread. Take the gauge to the hardware store. Ace hardware will help you.
    Install the gauge next to the pump--or next to the boom.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

That gage should be placed where you can easily watch it while operating your sprayer. I spike in pressure will indicate a Clogged Nozzle etc. A big drop might mean a busted hose or a pump gone bad. A empty tank or a clogged strainer would also drop pressure. The point being something isn't right.

BTW you can add a Hose from the Tee fitting on the main line and route it to a more viewable spot. The gage still works fine on a dead end hose.