Help in Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Jan 25, 2005.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I live in lower Delaware. A big developer we do alot of work for has a model house he's building in Punta Gorda, Florida . We are heading down there the end of Feb. I think, if all goes as planned. We are to install a 'horse shoe driveway (stone), sod, and install a handful of plants.

I will know for a fact when we will be starting the job after the 1st week in Feb. I need some information about the area.

Where to get:
    Landfill/ or dumping area for excess fill (if any)
    Motel?/ will prob. have other questions

If you know the area can you e-mail me at
    I will know if we are heading down there in about 2 weeks, so once I know I'll need the info

*****When I get the job- whoever helps me I will buy them a gift cert. for $100 towards dinner- or nursery down there

Let me know if you know the area- I'll contact you when job is secure.
    I know we have the job, just worring about time frame. Too busy in March to go. This developer has spet over $120k in the past 3-4 years with us. He doesn't want a price for job. Just wants us down there.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Double E

I have a nursery in Punta Gorda. I can Fill all your needs. However You must have Florida Worker Comp and a Florida License to do work here. I can Supply you with both as a sub contractor for a price. BTW you will need to pull permits for Sod and Irrigation and will need a license to do so.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i dont live down there i live 3 hr north but this what i would do call the local chamber of commerce thay know everybody . im sure thay can help but if you get in a pinch go to your local home depot order what you need and have it ship to the punta gorda store . just one more note punta gorda got totally wiped out during the hurricanes i mean wiped out alot of people still are out of there houses thats why i said call the c of c thay will know whos up and running
  4. double e

double e LawnSite Member

You need a permitt down there just to lay sod?
    I'll let you know when I get the job
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Double E

Yes sir You need a permit to lay sod in the swale in front of the house. It must meet City Drainage requirements. The City Engineer will put cut marks on the Road and you must use a transit to shoot grade. They will Check you before signing off on the permit. Now in order to get a CO you have to have sod in the swale. City and county Landscape codes also apply. 5 tree Code points and a certain percentage of the yard must be sod. This becomes a problem if you want to do a bunch of Hardscape and ornamental beds. Most Lots are 80 by 120 and have about 5,000 square ft of house and pool on the lot. Add a Horse shoe driveway and you have even less square feet to work with.

Now Zone 10 plants might be an other problem for your design. I suggest you have a local Designer at least help you with design plans. The last thing you want is to mess this guys house up if he is a good customer.

Now I don't want to scare you off, but you need to know that southwest Florida is going to present you challenges that you are not used to.