1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help in L.A.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bsmithalc, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bsmithalc

bsmithalc LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I've read numerous posts on fertilizer pricing and alot of other topics and have found great info. I refrained from posting a while back because I read someone else's post say "just do a search, this is brought up everyday". So I think I've read just about every post on this forum. Now was wondering a few things. I currently work as a property manager for a guy. I do everything you can think of including mow, fert & weed control, any landscaping, anuy irrigation. I also do landscape designs on the side.

That being said I was approached by someone the other day that wanted me to put them on a fert program. I told them sure, let me come out and take a look and I'd see if I could do it. I just wanted to see if my prices seemed right or way off.

1) Let me preface by saying that I have virtually no overhead (feel free to correct), my boss said it was ok if I used the spreader so I won't have to go out and buy one.
    2) I can get a 50lb. bag of 19-0-11 fert w/pre-m from Lesco for around $19. Bag will cover 12k. Price pre foot=0.001583cent per sq.ft.
    3)Cost of fert for yard= $23.28 (sorry, yard is 14,700 sq.ft)
    4) I'm coming up with $44.25 per app. Seems way low. I know I left out some intangibles and I may be doing this completely wrong. That's why I figured I'd ask you guys for help. I've read to not compare your prices with trugreens but I called anyway because they are really the only ones around here doing this and they quoted it as $81-86 per app. Mine is almost half that. See my prob. Any help or suggestions would be great. TIA! By the way I do have my apllicators license.
  2. bsmithalc

from Alabama

gracias senor's:clapping:
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

sounds a little low, I would charge $65-$70 at the lowest. if you have low overhead let it put more $ in your pocket and build your business on quality and not low price!
  4. bsmithalc

from Alabama

thank you indy. when I have more time I will post how I came up with that price.
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Our price would be $65.00 per application
  6. bsmithalc

from Alabama

from what I've got on here this is how I came up with my price

1)cost of bag ($19) x sq.ft. on bag (12,000)=price per sq.ft (.001583 cents)

2)price per sq.ft. (.001583) x sq.ft. in the yard (14,700)= cost of fert for yard ($23.28)

3)Now figure hours to fert x hourly rate + cost of fert yard= $43.71
    (.75hrs) ($35/hr) ($23.28)

$43.71 per app. Somewhere in there depending on what exactly I will be applying I know, look for it to shift a little when applying pre-m and so forth. Any thoughts?:confused: