help. In the market for aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by georgialawn88, Dec 2, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking for a aerator for next summer for Bermuda turf. Im not looking for a 10,000 dollar ride on unit but just a good 30" or something close to this walk behind. Theres lots of choices out there and honestly I have no Clue what i'm looking for. Any suggestions on a good walk behind that's durable wont beat the crap out of me every day I use it and does a good job? And any specifications on this unit that is a must?

Thank ya!:drinkup:

2. georgialawn88

been looking at ryan lawn air and blue bird

3. dgregory

dgregory LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have owned both mentioned, and ryan wins hands down. Another one to look at is the Turfco xt5.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I used a Ryan for years before I opted to buy a ride on. The results are hands down better with the ride on. I don't know what aerating is bringing your way. But I paid my aerator off within 12 months of aerating and over seeding. We are able to do spring and fall aerating in my area. Rent a walk behind then look at the cost of a used ride on.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Flat properties or hilly...?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. georgialawn88

flat mostly. few hills but I would say flat

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the top of the page. Turfco XT5, hydro drive aerator is just like running a walk behind self propelled mower. Finger tip controls aerates easily right through the turns and in reverse for those tight areas. No lifting, no pushing or pushing down just drive and enjoy making more money.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If your not doing a lot of aerating a Bluebird is prestine can be had for less than 1200$. I paid 800$ for mine in near new condition. Very rugged and realiable machines. They will however work you real hard, so if your doing a lot of aerating it may not be the best choice.

Exact Rotolling is a expert on the more expensive brands.

9. Rock Solid

Rock Solid LawnSite Member

Check out the PLUGR brand of reciprocating turf aerators, They are the closest machine to replicate a golf course type of aerator at a consumer price, both for hole quality and quantity, on Bermuda grass.

10. A1 Lawn Aeration

A1 Lawn Aeration LawnSite Member

i own several plugr models. Always wanted to test and compare with the turfco xt5 but they dont come with the honda motor