help. In the market for aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by georgialawn88, Dec 2, 2013.

1. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I would take a Ryan over bluebird any day.

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i have a bluebird 530a , its 19inch i believe. years ago i had a smaller model bluebird that was from the 80's. I like the ryans better myself as well.. I got a good deal on the bluebird though.. I see them on CL every year for under 1000. Made my money back on that machine pretty quick. I Hate to aerate though. i've done up to 22,000 sq. ft. with that machine. It's quite the workout.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Had a Bluebird but sold it right away. Best drum styles imo = TURFCO & Ryan. Hands down. Best hydro = TURFCO, but they cost more. Being the cheapskate that I am, we bought a pair of Ryan IV's not so long ago just before hydro's came out (the new style Ryans you currently see). $1100 each (ebay), but they were from a rental place. We ended up spending about $450 each to replace worn parts. Sprockets were shot, and so were other things. So buyer beware.

Nuther aerator that nobody mentioned is the Ryan tow-behind. We have 2, but.........

4. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

I have a very nice Lawn solutions aerator for sale in the equipment forum. I have run the bluebird/ryan types and would never go back. the hydrodrive makes it easy to run. It can be shipped if you are interested.

5. i own a bluebird and am happy with it. i bought it new as aerating around here is way less common than everywhere else so finding a used machine was not gonna happen.

having said that i have nothing else to compare it to. most yards around here that people will have me aerate aren't that big so for right now the bluebird works great for me. i also make pretty good money doing it and for half my clients who have zoysia its a very easy sell. im trying to market it to the st Augustine crowd and i feel that over time i will successfully do that.
    Posted via Mobile Device