Help Indentify Light Green Patches

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Alta Lawn Care, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have several light green patches that are 3-5 ft in diameter in my own lawn. When I pull on the grass, I can pull up a "mat" of grass. (The roots are no longer attached to the soil.) These patches have spread. I heard that the whole lawn would eventually be killed off if it weren't treated.

I haven't dug into it yet to look for grubs as I see know skunk or crow damage. Is it a fungus or disease? I would appreciate any help.

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

could you post pics? sounds like grub damage. might have to dig a few inches to find the grubs if its cold

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would have to say grubs, or some wierd soil problem. Has thjis happened before? Roots will recoil from very wet soil too.

4. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can get a picture but in the mean time, I'll check for grubs.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Could be poa annua (annual bluegrass). It has a lighter, "lime green" appearance to it and is typically shallow rooted. Just a thought. (Does it get seed heads on it in the spring or did this just show up?)

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

or, i'm thinking its Bent Grass

7. MStine315

Yeah, I was thinking that, too, or nimblewill. Any pictures??

8. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

If he's in VT, Nimblewill would have crapped out by now.

9. MStine315

Good call Finn, my bad. Didn't look at the date OR the location.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like grub damage. When you check for them, you have to check the outer edge of the damage, and even under some of the still attached perimeter.