1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help installing granite steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gil, Mar 29, 2005.

1. gil

gil LawnSite Member

i am starting a new project next week. i have a set of 3 granite steps with a landing and another set of 3 more granite steps. I was thinking laying 3-4" of crushed stone and 2" of stone dust and on top of that the granite step. That this sound correct? i really need some advice.
    Thanks

2. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

sounds allright i use sand though make sure you slant your step just a little for drainage.

3. gil

gil LawnSite Member

is it better to use sand instead of stone dust?

4. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

i really think you should use sand over stone dust in this application dust is used for porus paving systems i.e. ergo

5. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Stone dust?

I went to a vaersa-lok seminar last week and they mentioned to never use stone dust for anything, either walls or patios.

I really enjoy this site although I haven't been here for a while. If you can, attend a seminar. You won't regret it! I laerned alot!

6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Thanks! I will try to attend to one of those seminars. Did they mentioned to used sand instead of stone dust. What was the reason for not using stone dust??
    Thanks again