Help, Insurance agent skipped town.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TMlawncare, Feb 16, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

This year is really starting off in the wrong direction. Got letter from the state siting my liability insurance is about to expire and I need to renew like now. Phoned my insurance agent and his number is disconnected. Drive to his office and its gone.. Called the company that my insurance is through and they had to find me a new agent. New agent tells me they can't renew my policy because they haven't did an inspection and couldn't get it done in time. Current company Essex Insurance. Agent wants me to go with Penn Star Ins. They want $791 plus $100 to do an inspection. The policy would be $300,000 per occurance and $600,000 aggregate (or total) per year. Now from viewing the forums I now Erie Ins is really good but not available in MO. Do any of you have to pay for an inspection? Who are you finding to insure you and what are you paying. Thanks.

2. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

Look up scottsdale ins. Call them to find out a local agent that carries them. There was no inspection when I did mine, but they did want my life history.

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Inspection for what?

www.thesloanagency.com is who I use. They cover MO. I would be pissed enough to call the Mo dept of Ins and file a complaint against your former agent

4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have good luck with Farm Bureau.

It makes sense, you did nothing wrong and you have to jump through hoops.

Good luck.

Mike

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I kinda feel your pain, tho mine has not skipped town... Their office is the most antiquated and everyone there is completely scatterbrained. I call and call to get something added or changed and never receive a return call. I have to go in there and sit in front of the guy to get stuff done on my insurance. Honestly you would have to see this office, it's a real step back in time. All the way to the orange shag carpet and the phone system that is from the early 70's. I guess in the long run they pass the savings on to the customer though. They are the most affordiable provider for liability coverage with the commercial aggregate clause on there. It's hard to find that kind of policy just anywhere for applicators. They serve many other lco's here so I knew they knew what I needed. My provider is Columbia. I had scottsdale before, a few years ago. Great policy but have your agent check around. Many commercial liability policys are written more for restruant owners and such. Actually WAY more coverage that you may need. It's the same million dollar liab/bod. injury on the outside it's just that one covers more than the other and it may not be necessary, thus you are paying hundreds more a year than necessary.

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Finding insurance for anyone in the pesticide applicators segment in about the biggest pain in the a$! I have ran into. It seems like anyone you speak to will have to get back to you and two weeks later no one knows anymore then the they did before. I have never ran into more voice mail then in the indusurance industry. I have heard that a company out of Springfield Mo. (PJC Insurance) is pretty good. Has anyone dealt with them?

7. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

I was inspected yesterday by a field agent with the georgia dept. of agriculture. He informed me insurance is not required by the dept of ag. He said dept of ag. has introduced legislation to do away spraying insurance. He said All Applicators should contact their state senators and ask them if they see legislation about applicators & insurance, that you ask them to support it because of the expense & it's too hard to find a company to write it. Aerial applicators in georgia don't have to spray insurance because of new legislation.. ALL Georgia Applicators need to contact their field agent about insurance requirments.

8. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Aerial applicators don't need insurance??!! Holy gee willickers! I can't believe that. Too good to be true. I have had a h-e-double tooth pick of a time trying to find insurance. In most cases I am too small to be considered or they will just tell me a minimun of $7000. For that, I will sell everything and sit on the porch.