1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help ! Is it to late in the season new buss

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jeromet, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jeromet

jeromet LawnSite Member

I have 4 kids and would be walking away from a good job. I have all my equipment bought but am worried about the winter months in Alabama.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

WAY WAY WAY too much of a risk IMO
  3. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Proper way to manage risk is to always have a backup plan.
  4. jeromet

jeromet LawnSite Member

The only backup plan I have is that I still have my equipment from bushhoging and under brush clearing, I was going to get out of this, But I do have some underbursh clearing jobs linned up for the winter
  5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to do it..wait till Spring...
  6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what type of job and how good of benefits you have now but with 4 kids have you checked into the price of medical insurance once you leave your job.
  7. horsequick

horsequick LawnSite Member

To answer your question: NO, it's not too late. Just don't sit around being lazy and expect work to come to you. Get out there and HUSTLE. If a property looks like it needs cut then find out who owns it....call the owner. There's lots of ways to gain new business. Just use your best judgement on gaining new customers.
    As far as making enough money to support the family, you may want to do this biz as a sideline for this year. It is late and there's only so much money you can make with the time we have left for work. Although if you hustle now, you may have some customers lined up for spring next year. Good Luck.
  8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO wait till spring and your odds for success increase alot.