Help, Jacobsen vs Hustler

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by boejangles, Mar 5, 2005.

1. boejangles

boejangles LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, just a noob here trying to pick your brains.
    I'm trying to buy my first ZTR and after reading all sorts of posts I've narrowed it down to these two units.

The Hustler mini Z 36" deck 16hp Honda $3400, I didn't know anything about Hustlers untill yesterday. My closest dealer is 40 miles away.

The Jacobsen 48" deck with a 17.5 hp Briggs motor $4400 otd. Closest dealer is 8 miles away.

Here's my dilema, as usual I started low ($1200 tops) and creeped up to $4400 when I seen the Jacobsen offered to me at $1000.00 off list, sounded good to me!
    I then heard about the Hustlers and thought that if the quality was there and at $3400, might be worth looking into?

I'm only doing about 3/4 acre of grass and about a 1/4 acre of property line rough grass control. I really like buying quality equipment and it seems to me that Jacobsen is offering something good. The Hustler (from the photos I've seen) looks a little easier to control then the Jacobsen.

Can someone point me in the right direction or am I even looking at the right models?? Thanks!!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Hustlers are great mowers but you may want to look at a bigger one. Maybe a 42" mini fastrac or a 44" Fastrac. The Hustlers are very well built mowers and you wouldn't go wrong buying one.

The Jacobsen mower that you are looking at is a commercial grade mower with a residential engine on it. They are very good mowers also. They are the same as the Bob Cat and Bunton ztr's. This machine would be very conviniet since the dealer is only 8 miles away.

3. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I was offered a Mini Fastrac for $3295 with a 17hp (Kohler) and 42" deck or for $3635 a 16 hp (Honda) and 42" deck. So, I think you should be able to negotiate a little bit. No opinion on the Jacobsen, since I've never heard of it. Don't mean that disrespfully, I had never heard of the Hustler till a few days ago. Buy as big as you can. Good luck, and I do love my Hustler.

4. boejangles

Going to go look at the Hustlers tomorrow, can't wait till they open :blob3:

Still can't shake that Jacobsen, I was curious however if anybody has any experience with the hydraulics in the Jacobsen. Looks like they have an internal independent Hydro system as opposed to external lines operating the mechanics?? Hope this makes sense..

5. Advance The Man

I posed the lack of independt pumps with the lawnsite.com Hustler representative. Here's the post. I don't know when this would be important. I would guess if you are putting a lot of hours, maybe steep inclines, declines. Another forum member recommended a Snapper (high-end residential) because it had dual pumps. I think if you read what the Hustler rep is saying is that it's the quality of the Hustler pump vs the quality of the dual in many manufacturers. At least that's how I took it. Seems he is saying the Hustler single pump is superior to many other high end rez series. I responded to him again to verify that. We'll see what he says.

6. boejangles

Thanks for the info, I've been following your posts which is what led me to look into the Hustlers, I'm sure your happy with the equipment purchase.
    I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't regret purchasing the Jacobsen a couple of years down the line, that thing is built stout!!

Where's everybody else at?? Probably mowing huh??

7. Advance The Man

Out of curiousity, I googled Jacobsen. Initially found a lot of European sites for it. I eventually ruled out the Briggs and was only gonna consider a Kohler, Honda or Kawasaki. I then realized I wanted a two cylinder engine. I did test drive a number of one and two cylinder and there is a smoother, quieter difference. You said you wanted quality, I'm sure whatever you get at that high-end you will be satisfied. I don't have a good reason that I ruled the Briggs out. I did test drive the Cub Cadet from Lowes and that had a 22 hp Briggs Intek. I simply feel they don't have the reputation the others do. When you're forking out several thousands of dollars and a Kohler, Kawasaki or Honda only cost a few hundred dollars more, why take the chance.

8. boejangles

Agreed!! My Dad keeps telling me to get the Hustler 42" with the 20hp Honda and be done with it. To bad they didn't put the bigger better Kohler in the Jacobsen. Did you even look at eXmark?? or is it Toro now?

9. Advance The Man

Only researched both online. Exmark appears 10 - 15 percent higher and Toro (for their upper rez line) was the same as Hustler. The difference with Toro and Snapper was they barely budged on msrp. Therefore, I ruled them out without a test frive.

10. boejangles

I stand corrected on the price, I was told $3400 on the 36" 16hp Honda Hustler but now they're telling me $4295 otd.
    I can get the 48" Jacobsen with a 17hp Briggs for $4400 otd, what to do??
    Sorry for all the questions but this stuff can drive me to drinkin ;)