1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help - Keeping Enclosed Trailers Dry

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JimLewis, Jan 19, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We switched to enclosed trailers this year for all our maintenance crews. And one of the unexpected consequences was during the winter they decks (and walls to a certain extent) get really wet and never seem to dry out. Right now they are totally saturated and looking a little worse each week. We're concerned about eventually wood rot, etc. It's very wet here in Oregon, as you can imagine.

So I need to find a way to protect our decks inside the trailers and maybe the walls too. I was thinking we'd dry them out by emptying the trailers, cleaning the floor, leaving it for a weekend with the door slightly open and the top vent open. Then after a few days if it's still a little wet, we'd put a space heater inside (again with door slightly open and vent cracked) for a few hours to dry it out more. Then once it was dry, we could apply some sort of seal coat on the wood to protect it.

Those were just my initial thoughts. But I'm not the most handy guy around. So I'd love to hear any input or thoughts on what others have done in this situation.

I just want to protect our investment. Your comments, thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I just open the front and rear doors. But in you weather that might not work as good. Mine gets wet every time it rains because I cannot keep those plastic roof vents on.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just throw a few thousand of these in each trailer :laugh:

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You're a funny guy, Jason. :laugh:
  5. fireman9

fireman9 LawnSite Member

I got tired of replacing them too and went to something similar to this..

Photo found on google... not my camper. They let you keep the roof vents open without the rain coming in.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

7. fireman9

fireman9 LawnSite Member

I've hit lots of limbs and stuff with mine and its held up really well. They tend to slide over the cover going forward nicely, backing up I go slow. I have a yard that has some low hangers I must go under and its lasted for the past 2 years now. They bolt down on all four sides instead of just that flimsy metal piece in the middle.
  8. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

line x or some other brand spray in bed liner. but its gonna cost you
  9. organiclawncanada

organiclawncanada LawnSite Member

Get the Maxxair Vent cover like in the pic above. I used to sell 3-4 to every customer when I was in the RV business. I never heard of any customers having to replace because of hitting tree limbs. It allows you to always keep your roof vent open a little of a lot. A great investment. When I get my enclosed trailer I will put one on. :canadaflag:
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I definately think this is your solution Jim. :clapping: