1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Keeping grass out of boots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Sep 20, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Any one know of anything to help keep grass out of boots/shoes. When I work in shorts, my shoes fill with grass and dirt and make my socks where they won't come clean. I was thinking of something like a snake bite guard that covers from the sock over the top of the boot/shoe. Any one have any ideas. Surely someone has made something for this purpose.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That and safety is the main reason that I only work in long pants now. It was too uncomfortable to wear shorts and have to constantly pick the grass, twigs and hedge clippings out of the tops of my boots. Hopefully someone will have an answer for us both.

3. StayStihl

StayStihl LawnSite Member

I have seen fellers wearing these "chap like" things. I dunno how well they work as far as keeping debris out of one's shoes, but I am sure they help on the flying debris taking chunks out of your shins. I dunno where to get these things, I have only saw em being used by other LCO's as I am on the go, driving by etc...I'll see if I can catch one at a stand still, and ask em about those chaps, if I find anything out, I'll post. I too wear shorts, I just deal with the debris in my boots, and wear cheaper socks. Right now :)

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I switched from shorts to pants, nothing in my boots. :) I'm not any hotter wearing them either. If you're set on getting some chaps, I'd check that link at the top for W. E. Chapps. I'm sure that have something you'd like. Good luck.

5. StayStihl

StayStihl LawnSite Member

LoL... TurfGuy, I guess that would be a good place to start eh? (W.E. Chapps) I didn't even see that, thanks!:D

6. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

7. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

8. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

It was to hot this summer for pants. I just have 4 or 5 pair of socks that I keep seperate for my lawn business. That way I dont ruin all of them. If you experiment more with the way you hold the trimmer, this will greatly reduce the amount of clippings in your shoes. Watch what way the grass is flying and trim in the opposite direction. Dont care to use pants and chaps, way to hot.

Lasher

9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I used to only wear shorts too. Once I found the right pants and gave them a fair chance, I'm always wearing them. It gets hot here in Texas and I'm more comfortable in pants. The shower at home stays cleaner too. :)

10. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

looks like those Chaps would be hot. I think if i had a pair I'd only use them once or twice. Too much time to put them on an off each stop.

Plus i like my legs tan