HELP!!!!! Kohler V-twin 25 Hp Smoking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Inman's lawn care, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler V-twin 25 Hp Smoking and using oil. I have to put 3-4 ounces of oil in eat day before starting. I check the compression it's about 135 -140.
    I am not leaking oil on trailer or floor. When i start it up a huge cload of white smoke flys out and hangs around for awhile. When I warm it up and run for awhile and have to stop blue like smoke come's from the exhaust.:confused:

I have been reading threads like crazy and from some of the post it could be a head gasket or a reed valve. I think???:dizzy:

I am losing power sometimes. Like i can tell that its not pulling really hard like it should.

Please help on any advice.
    Thanks for helping.

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Could be a head gasket, rings breaking down and causing oil to leak into the cylinder, or it could be a crack in a piston or cylinder wall. Whatever it is, it is leaving oil on top of the cylinder and that is what is causing your bad smoking problem when you start it up, it is that oil burning off. Looks like your compression is good (I am not sure what the specs should be) so it could just be a oil ring is shot on one cylinder. The loss of power could be that is cannot burn the fuel as well due to the oil in the chamber, or a sign of a further compression problem. Might want to perform a leakdown test to confirm the compression numbers.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

don't panic. how many hours is on it? is the crankcase over filled? is there a lot of oil residue in the breather? what weight oil are you using?

4. Inman's lawn care

Have have 110 hours on it.
    Not sure about the crank case....will have to look at that.
    Oil SAE 10w-30

I noticed when i pulled the dip stick it seemed to be darker then normal. Not carmel color but darker. Would that mean the oil in the crank case is not flowing or hotter then it should. I have been doing ALOT of Leaf removal.
    the air filter is not showing any signs of oil. Just normal dirt intake.

I changed the oil in the machine every 40 hours and before spring start up.

Please help on any advice.
    Thanks for helping.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a classic blown head gasket between the oil return ports, You can tell by looking at the plugs. One will look clean burning the other will look like it has more carbon build-up and dark oily looking.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 27 kohlor, probably 1200+ hours on it. At start up, not all the time but once in a while, it will blow out blue smoke for a second or 3, head gasket or maybe a valve guide?, if they have them?? This winter I was thinking of overhauling it.

7. hondalowlow

hondalowlow LawnSite Member

get new rings.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, There are no replacement valve guides for this one. A leak-down test would show if it is a head gasket or rings, If possible have this test done before doing your overhaul.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

ok will do, thanks

10. Inman's lawn care

Thanks Restrorob, i am at work right now. i will check the pluggs As soon as i get home tonight and report back. Trying to find some one in my area to do a leak down test.

will report back

Thanks in advice for the advice.