Help lake pump problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hustlers, May 2, 2003.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have been putting in a few lake pumps this year and I cannot
    get a prime.

We had an early hard freeze last year and anybody know how
    to check a lake pump to see if its broken or how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated

1.5 hp Gould pumps and F&W

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Have your ever done what you are attempting to do? Basically what do you know and what do you think you don't know? It'll help me point you in the right direction.

3. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Now that is a kinder Gentler Harold, than what I am used to. LOL

4. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I know this is kind of an old post But I thought I would add my .02.

Lake pumps can be a bot of a bear to prime in the spring.
    1. Make sure you have a Check valve in the pickup screen and it is not leaking.
    2. We install a pressure gauge on every pump we install, you can see easily what is happening when you are priming the system.

3. Since lake pumps are usually a ways away from the Driveway, it stinks to drag 500 feet of hose down to the lake from the compressor in the fall to winterize. We install a faucet next to the driveway, hooked into the main line, we hook on here to blow out and in the spring we hook on with a garden hose, in the spring to charge the main line and pump.
    4, As the main and pump are filling, you need to hold the lline going in to the water down so it can fill. Run the pump for a minute or so, turn it off and continue to fill , working the air out of the suction line. After 3 or 4 times, you will see the gauge on the pump increase sharply and the pump is primed. It takes a bit of patience but usually works well.

5. Flasprinkler

Flasprinkler LawnSite Member

Install a vacuum gauge on the pump and determine if the pump is creating a vacuum or "sucking" water from the lake. Possible suction leak may need to repair your suction line.