Help laying sod on slope...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ACutAbovesiny, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I've been called to lay new sod in the front of a customers home. They have had it done twice in the last few years (not by me). The problem I have seen is that the top inch of soil is very sandy. Under that is very hard clay. I think that the top inch is the top soil that was spread out the last time the sod was put in...but not curtain. How can I be sure that when I put sod there it will take??

I thought of taking out about 4" of clay and adding top soil...what do you think??????

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Got a pic? How steep is this slope?

Remeber, for hauling, soil will increase its size when 'fluffed' and stone you may find when excavating.

How big is the area? I assume you are using a skid steer?

Remeber, lay across the slope, not up/down and use sod staples if needed.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

might be a crap shoot if it will root this late in the year... at least down south

4. ACutAbovesiny

I will stop by tomorrow and take some pics. The slope is not even 45 degrees. Its only 450 sqft of sod...not a big area.

5. ACutAbovesiny

I haven't taken any pics yet but I am still considering taking the top 4" of clay off and replacing with topsoil. Only problem is I dont have any place for the clay. Dont know of any area around here that takes that kind of stuff.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Will the sod root this time of year where you are located? We did a sod job on a steep hill about a month ago... added topsoil to the hill, then we had a monsoon the next day and it washed a majority of the dirt away. If the sod isn't going to root till spring... your topsoil will wash away. That would be my only concern.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

landfill........or find a company or landscape company that makes their own soil

8. ACutAbovesiny

Thats a good point...

9. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Start at the bottom of the hill, use sod staples, and lay it. It shouldn't be cold enough where you are that the sod wouldn't root in. Sod will root into anything. Our leftover sod from jobs gets laid out on a brick paver area. If left there for over 10 days, you have to use a spade to cut the roots that rooted in between the brick.

10. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Iwould try tilling area or add top soil (not very big area) start at bottom of slope work to the top ,use staples if necessary and starter fert. and water .
    Water until you think youve watered too much then water somemore keep wet for the first two weeks I think you will be satisfied . good luck

dont skip the starter fert.