help lazer blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by I MOW ALONE, Oct 18, 2007.

1. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

ok need a little help. used the mower all day get to the last cut for the day turn the key starter engaged for a split second and then nothing. turn the key no click nothing look things over find the fuse blown replace as soon as i turn key pop there goes the fuse. get it home start unplugging things same thing until i unplugged the voltage regulator. when i unplugged the voltage regulator no more blown fuse the mower starts and clutch works. does this sound like a flywheel magnet or stator. oh by the way 27hp kohler. thanks in advance

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Set a multimeter on ohm's, Put one lead on each of the white wires on the regulator plug the other test lead to a good ground. You should have no continuity (open circuit).

This will tell you if the stator is shorted to ground, If it is replace the stator, If the stator checks fine replace the regulator.

3. I MOW ALONE

? do you think it would be safe to use the mower with regulator unplugged or would i be damaging it further. thanks

4. Restrorob

It's best not to run without the charging system, A PTO clutch eats voltage up......

5. I MOW ALONE

ok checked with the meter and im getting a reading on both white wires. it bounces around from like 1.3 to .3 guess the stator is shorted. i will find out when i replace it. thanks

6. I MOW ALONE

rob or anyone else what is the easiest way to replace the stator. being it is a horizontal engine would it be easiest to unbolt the engine and pull it back for easier access. any help is appreciated. thanks

7. Restrorob

The time spent trying to work in a tight spot (engine in the unit) exceeds the time it would take to remove a engine and put it on a bench for easy access to everything.

8. I MOW ALONE

well opened it up today and half the magnets were off floating around in there. bent and chewed up the stator. so those magnets are glued on and you cant just replace the magnets you have to buy a new flywheel? and also what do you do with the purple wire on the stator plug that runs to the main engine harness. do you pull it out of the stator plug and put back in the new stator plug. thanks

9. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

Yes, you have to buy the flywheel to get the magnets, they are glued in. Just unplug the purple wire from the stator plug, you can use a screwdriver to bend down the tab holding it into the plug and before you plug it into the new harness just bend the tab back up to hold it in the harness.

10. Restrorob

Use a piece of coat hanger wire inserted in the below area then wiggle it up and down SLIGHTLY, BUT pull on the wire while doing this. If the tang is pushed down too far you wont be able to bend it back up without bending the whole connector up.

[​IMG]