Help Lighting My House

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by ewhite17, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

I am planning on lighting my house. I do not do this commercially at all, but just want to do a little home improvement. I attached a picture of my house with my plans. I am using LED lights. The numbers up top are distances in feet. Please give me any feedback on the design or the type/wattage of lights or changes to use. I do not want the house to be lit up like a ball field just subtle. I greatly appreciate any help.

My house lighting plan(EVAN).jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Layout looks fine. The only things I would do differently are to go with 60 degree lamps on the architecture. The columns I would use 36 degree lamps so you get a better spread on the soffit, facia and entry dormer. I would also go 36 degree lamps on the spruce. I am not a huge fan of 12 degree lamps as they seem to pinpointed and hot near the bottom of the their projection. Since you are only using 3 watt lamps on the architecture and your brick is so dark, you will have no problem pulling off subtle. That dark brick sucks up the light. I would almost be inclined to use the 5w- 60 degree lamps on that.

3. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

Thank you lite4 the wattage is the thing I really don't know about I just went with the lowest ill bump them up to 5w. Do you think a 5 w will be enough to creat a decent shadow, or do I need to lifht the crape and weeping with 10w?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

You cannot judge the intensity / brightness of an LED lamp or fixture by its wattage.

5. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

I understand that, but isnt a 3w typically close to a 20w halogen and 5=30 10=50?

6. Lite4

You will be fine with the 5s on the trees.

7. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

Thank you Tim. You are extremely helpful.

8. Lite4

My Pleasure. Post a pic when you are done.

9. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I agree, 12 degree are too narrow for these applications.

I also agree that the wider beam spread (about 40 degree) on the columns would allow you to light the underside of the soffet - achieving both an illumination that defines the architectural feature and provides considerable reflective illumination on the porch and garden bed.

I don't like use of well lights in garden beds since they allways get covered in mulch (unless you elevate them - but then you might as well use a diectional).

I also agree with James that you abslutely can not judge an LED's light level by its wattage. You also can't assume the beam angle is accurate. I've tested many of the popular brands in my lab. Some 5W's are brighter than 6W's.

One popular 6W 45-degree LED MR-16 drop-in delivers 167 fc at 3 ft. That's five times the light level (29 fc) of another popular 45-degree drop-in! The reason - the first drop-in is actually a 20-degree lamp.

10. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

Here is an update on my lighting project.

house lights.jpg