Help me beat the crabgrass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevyman1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

The front of one of my new customers' lawns is 75% crabgrass from a couple years of mowing it too short and no fert. What should I do to kill that off and get real grass in there?

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

All the crabgrass will die in a few weeks. Then seed and starter fert. Then pre emergent in the spring and that should knock out most of it.

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

do I have to rip out the dead stuff, or will throwing seed over the top and brushing with a steel rake and starter fert be enough?

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

The dead stuff will come right up. I would wait until mid october to do it if you are in Tri-state are NJ,NY,CT

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait for the purple colored lawn............then you know the crabgrass is dying!

Lawnchoice

6. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

Also, when it comes back up next year, hit it with some trimec spray once a week for about a month, that will kill it for sure.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec is a BROADLEAF herbicide. It will only kill dicot* plants or broad leaf plants. Crabgrass is a monocot**, a grass. If the lawn is loaded with crabgrass apply glyphosate (if you are a licensed applicator) wait the labeled number of days, renovate and re-seed. Since you are in NY, you can also wait until after the first frost (the crabgrass will die) and then renovate and reseed. In the spring, if germination was successful, I would start out by applying starter fertilizer with Tupersan. Follow that up in 4 weeks with an application of balanced fertilizer with dimension if you feel the lawn can withstand it.

*A flowering plant with two embryonic seed leaves or cotyledons that usually appear at germination.

**Any of various flowering plants, such as grasses, orchids, and lilies, having a single cotyledon in the seed

BSDeality likes this.
  8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec has 2-4D, it is limited to two broadcast applications per year. He will be in violation of the label if he does what you are suggesting. Did you mean Trimec Plus maybe?? One application of Drive 75 should clean up any crabgrass that breaks thru the preemergent barrier.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimec plus will control crabgrass but doesn't work all that great. I would stick to drive.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, Dimension will kill any in the spring that breaks the pre-m barrier. You have to get it early, though.