help me bid 100 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

i was wondering if you guys could help me out with a 100 acre bid. right now i have around 50 small 30 minute residentials and 5 small businesses. I have a Scag 48 walkbehind and a couple of push mowers. This place will be closing down in 1 - 4 years. This will be a year contract. There is around 50 buildings, numerous parking lots, and some wooded areas that will not be mowed. So it is considerably less than 100 acres but i am to bid it at 100 acres. They want it once a month unless called in early. They want a price just for mowing with no weedeating, blowing, or edging. I know that around building its going to look bad so i was going to give them a few different options in pricing. Such as 1. mowing with weedeating, 2. mowing , edging, blowing, 3. mowing and blowing, 4. just mowing. I plan on getting a 72" Scag turf tiger for 10,800 and a 61" Turf Tiger for 8900 or 61"Scag wildcat for 7900. I got a sheet from my dealer and it says in 8 hours at 80% productivity a 61" deck can do 20 acres at 5 mph and a 72 can do 23.5 acres at 5mph. So that is 43.5 acres 2 mowers can get done in 8 hours running at 80% plus my walkbehind. So i am thinking 3 days max it should all get mowed. I am thinking of doing 55 dollars an acre for just mowing but how much for edging, blowing and weedeating which could double the manpower at the same amount of hours. So does all this sound about right?

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds high, plus if you purchase all that equipment, your first year is at a loss and no guarantee you will get the bid the next year. and those productivity ratings are taking off just a little or no grass at all. How much grass you think there will be after a month. you are going to have to go about 1/4 speed to cut it. maybe even double cut.

You better think long and hard about this one.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Somebody with a WAM will come in and bid it at $20 an acre and the WAM will be in and out much quicker.....esp if they want cutting only with no trimming. Also think about this. Only cutting it once a month is moronic on their part as it will a) always look like crap even on the day it is cut b) will be hell on your equipment

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Once a month?. No way, I agree, will you get the productivity you think. You will burn up your equipment. You better just get a bushhog. Weedeating after a month of growth would take forever too. Maybe grass doesn't grow that fast in Texas?

5. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

if i had to guess i would say around 70% of it is tight mowing around trees and buildings, 2 passes around roads. Around 30% is big field mowing. So i dont think a WAM will work. Grass doesnt grow very fast around here. I bet its rained maybe a couple of inches in 8 months. I have around 5 weekly customers, 35 bi-weekly, and the rest as needed. i can make it cut it once a month without problems unless it rains then it will be extra to cut it if they call. I am bidding it high to try and cover the cost of the equipment. I got a hint of what the old guy bid it at and it was around 170000 but that was for palms, trees, beds, mowing, edging and everything else. The guy that showed me said no weedeating just get on a mower and mow....

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

LMAO, They want cheap thats why they don't want any trimming.

7. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

since they are closing the higher ups dont think they need the money they were getting.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Surest way to go bankrupt. Go in debt buying equipment based on one job. NEVER buy equipment based on one job......esp on one that is so cheap they will only pay to cut it once a month.....that's NOT a good client, no matter how they try and sale you on themselves

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd if have to side with Mike ... yu'll get into debt n than what if you loose the job .... that equip will sit with no $$ comming in ....just going out

Think of this .... they could pay some guy $400 a week to mow 25 acres ... 4 times monthl .. total of 100 acres ....n believe me ain't gonna take a but 2 easy days to mow 25 acre with a 72" ...that's $1600 a month.... hire him that is ... he's an employee they could buy a used or even new 72" ... say $10k with .... less if used ....even with up keep n payroll extras that's ..... that's less than $3k per month or $36k per year ..... that's total expense ... n say my guestimates are off n it's a total of $40k per year .... that's the total of buy a new or used mower, fuel,repairs, employee pay plus taxes n W/C ....

either way I'm just using a numbers game ....but if they put their own package n did it in house they may be looking at a yearly cost of $40-50K ... at the $50k rate that's $ 4166 per month or $41.66 per acre

Are you following me ??? They'd be silly to sub this work out when they can just hire another maintance guy n buy a mower n do it in house .... I assume they have employees if they own a 100 acre with building s on it

How could ya do it fore less that $40 per acre unless you own a WAM

10. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

i appreciate everyones comments. when i am not over there mowing one of the mowers will probably be sitting while the other one will take over some of my 48" work. I would have to guess around 1000 a month worth of work. My thinking is i would eventually sell my 48" and get a 32" to get rid of those dang 21". I understand its a huge risk but my thinking is if i have those mowers i could get more big clients. I know the clients wont happen over night but without mowers how do you get big business.