help me bid commercial property

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LWARD665, Aug 6, 2007.

1. LWARD665

LWARD665 LawnSite Member

I have a complex with 774 apartments/condos on the property. Do i charge per unit or is there an industry guideline or average the established pros use as a base? I need this job to be priced right for my company to grow. Help much appreciated.

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Only way to help u is for you to post pictures, These 774 apartments could be a high rise or 20 different buildings on 200 acres. PM me the address and I can look it up on google earth. You need 10 posts to PM so post away. And what equipment do you have and how many helpers?

3. LWARD665

LWARD665 LawnSite Member

Thanks so much! Addresss is 3751 Pine Ridge Blvd Palm Harbor,Fl 34685. Includes all three main areas . 91 buildings on property to include garages, clubhouses,etc.
    We have 48# skag and 34# toro now. If i get this bid am planning on purchasing 2 61" mowers. First commercial property so have had two full time employees doing residential. Will hire extra employees if get job. Probobly 2-3 more guys.

4. d&rlawncare

Are you edging all those sidewalks and driveways weekly or bi-weekly?
    Have they been edged recently or do they have growth? You will find out that the trimming is what is going to kill you. Go walk the property as if you were trimming. Then walk it as if you were edging. Each and every building. Dont just eyeball it. Walk it.

It looks like the 20 buildings on the east side of the road are new and have no turf. Do you have any idea what they currently pay?

5. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

Man, I wished I lived in your area, being nice enough to put the address on the web for all these landscaping companies to view. (and possibly go try to bid) All the people that read this I'm sure would love to land an account like that. Are there shrubs or anything you would be responsible for? Mulch? Or just mowing?

6. d&rlawncare

Yeah thats why I said to PM it to me in Michigan. The only person I know in FL is Mickey Mouse and I dont think he is mowing on the side.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Word of caution, it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket(buying 15-20K worth of mowers, hiring 2 or 3 guys) for just one job.

You lose it, and you're scrood.

8. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

3751 pine, mickey mouse is'nt the only on who got the address. Good luck on having no experiance, don't own your own business and giving out advice on how to bid an account that's obviously over his head. Who goes out and spends 20k in mowers, hires 2-3 guys for a single account? What if it goes south in a month or two? That's assuming the truck/trailer he has can pull 2 big riders and all the other equipment, and new employees, and mickey mouse.

9. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Take this comment to heart. We service a number of large townhome and single family home associations. We worked up to that point. Make sure if you are going to add that kind of equipment/guys, that you have more accounts in place. We have a complex that has 40 homes but is twenty five acres of turf. So it's all relative. Good Luck!:dizzy:

10. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

P.S. How do you get financed for that kind of $ just starting out? Are you gonna fill out the app, saying "ya but I might get this big account"