Help me bid this

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by All Pro Lawn Care, Aug 15, 2007.

1. All Pro Lawn Care

All Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Houston

1.3 miles of grass in a center section of road that is 60 feet wide with 5 foot of water across the bottom. about 10 degrees slope to the bottom. there are about 8 turn arounds to get from one side of the road to access shops, ect... the assiocation wants it mowed 12 times a year. also add edging in as a seperate bid. stick edger along a curb. If I win this bid the mower would be purchased new. they have set aside 8500 for the year ( and they know that it is not even close to what it will cost them) I was thinking somewhere around 50k

APLC

2. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

Let's break this down into acres.

43,560 sq ft= 1 acre
    5280 ft= 1 mile
    length*width= sq ft

1.3*5,280= 6,864 ft (length)
    60 feet wide-5 feet for water= 55 ft (width)

6,864*55= 377,520 sq ft

377,520/43,560= 8.67 ACRES of grass to mow

Now say you bid $50,000 for 12 mowing's, that is $4,166.67 per mowing.

4,166.67/8.67=$480.58 PER ACRE. Seems a little high to me. The most I am getting for an acre is about $95

This is just my opinion, take it for what is worth. I do not know the specific conditions and the terrain, therefore I can only go by what I was given!!

3. All Pro Lawn Care

All Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Houston

thanks that helps alot i might not be doing the mowing but trying to find a company to do it if we can get a little more money rounded up

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

The other thing you need to consider is all the time moving or picking up debris from the road. You will be string trimming maybe 2-5 feet on each side of the water as it sounds like it might be soft. If its not what your company does I would stay clear. DO WHAT YOU DO BEST. I take care of lawns, just because i know how to make a pizza doesnt make me a pizza maker.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

lol, yeah i was going to guess right by looking at it it was under 20 acres before the math and for 12 cuts into 50k jesus :p Id say your closer to $7k for the year or $600~ per cut, depending on conditions but , what were you thinking of for 50k? 13.3 miles long? or really only 1.3 miles?

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I would say their budget is right on. Ok actually a little high this is like a three to four hour job. that would be mowing edgeing and weed eating. I might be a little off but not far. and if it is a three hour job and you are getting 90 an hour which not many do this would only be around 3240 - 4320 for 12 cuttings. This does not sound right are you sure they are not looking for a 12 month contract and expecting 3 cutting plus a month. I say three to four hours that is working solo.

7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I would have realized it was the houston area. they are looking for a 12 month contract and you cut every week I would be willing to bet on that. they are also budgeting at 60 per hour for 3 hours of work a week. This seems normal. I would be willing to taKe the job for what is budgeted for mowing.