Help me buy a truck!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by alldayrj, Aug 24, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

is yours also an allison?

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I think it's a MT653(one of the big boy transmissions). It shifts and then locks up in each gear. I've been told when you have an automatic that you want lots of horsepower because they do 'take' some power. I had a gas tandem Kodiak with the automatic and we didn't like it. It would never shift up, you had to really rev it up.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have been looking for another truck and I narrowed it down too a F650 Flatbed dump with an auto. Most all of these trucks willl have a 5.9 cummins or a C7 Cat engine. The Internationals will mostly have a DT466. What I am finding is the 90 model trucks are not nearly as comfortable too operate as the 2000 and up trucks. I personally like the Ford interiors. As have been said get as much HP as possible. I drive on average 40 miles one way to jobs all back roads so the older trucks are just too much work. Expect too pay 20k for a nice early 2000 truck. If you can deal with the older trucks then stick with an early international pre electronics. The power on those trucks can easily be raised. The allisons are very reliable. They rate them in series 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. The 1000 comes behind chevy 2500/3500 trucks.

4. alldayrj

Both my dumps are in the 80's. Moving to the 90's would be incredible. The only other option for me is a 1999+ 550 but they seem to be made of gold. I got my 2003 lariat crew cab 250 for 10g cash. I can't understand why i can't get a stripped out work truck 550 for 15g cash.
    This international seemed like a good compromise and a great platform to build a nasty hardscape machine like etwmans rigs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You can get plenty of F550 trucks, regular cab with decent miles 99-03 for around 10k or less where I live.

6. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

With dump body dam I'm getting my trucks there. Do you have any dealer names. Thanks:drinkup:

8. alldayrj

lets carpool joesimoes LOL

post some links, I'll drive or fly for the right truck!

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I really thought those newer F650/750 Fords could have been great, not sure why they didn't catch on? Was it Ford or the dealers that just didn't work out?

I would think you could get a 550 for the $15,000? You have a good budget I think.

10. alldayrj

what do you guys think of this one? I actually looked at it in person, need to go back and double check the oil pan. no rust on bed or body but 190k on the clock. owned by a supply yard delivering mulch sand rock etc. wants 13.5, I think 10k or 12k cash gets it though
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3246200095.html