Help me Calibrate 2.1 gpm electric pump 1/128 method

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shortgrass01, Mar 4, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have different ideas from some of the experts here. I have a try Green background, also. I believe in waving the gun back and forth, covering a swath of about 7 feet. For that you need a nozzle that puts out a circular pattern. (Raindrop nozzles at try Green, but you may need to go on a lower volume).
    Remember if you use a flat fan nozzle--or any fan nozzle--you hand must remain stationary at the same height and angle, as you walk forward--moving it left or right causes huge uneveness in application. In fact, even a slight up or down movement of your hand as you step forward will cause major variations in the pattern on concrete.

2. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Hi riggle,
    Yeah going thru a bit of a learning curve with spraying with low volume lawn applications. I have relearn how to apply lawn application with these types of nozzles. I picked up some flood and flat fan nozzles at the tractor supply store, but they didn't have any AI nozzles. I get to play with them tomorrow. I have to start thinking like a boom sprayer nice even height very little movement type of technique. At some point I will be acquiring a gas motor and roller pump maybe even a diaphragm especially if I am not won over with these electric motors.. for lawn applications.

3. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

you used 3/8" hose? Next time around are you going to 1/2"? I use 1/2" and am debating going to 3/8" to be lighter and easier to haul around. 300' length. I only pump out 1 gal/1000. Thoughts?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I use a WAND instead on a gun. It is just a Ball valve shut off on a 54 " pipe with a crook in it so I am shooting straight at the ground. I have even sprayed in High winds because I can hold it so close to the ground with very large droplets. By just cracking the ball valve I can cut down the flow to a trickel and do very close in spraying.