1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Choose a Mower to Abuse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cray_new2exmark, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cray_new2exmark

cray_new2exmark LawnSite Member

I own a 6 acre lake in front of my house and need to cut grass three feet from the water and into the edge of the water. Also I have a 1,500 Sq/Ft area that can only be accessed by going through the woods about 400'. What piece of equipment can I buy for $500 or less? A push mower or one of those machines that looks like a pushmower but has a single spindle on the front and uses heavy duty plastic line like a weedeater instead of a blade? Please help me find and buy a piece of equipment that is going to be abused but last. I know someone can help because you guys steered me into buying a brand new Exmark LazerZ AS 60" Ultracut w/ a 28 horse Kawasaki last week. I love it but wish I would have bought the suspension seat upgrade and the cup holder add-on before I cut my place for 6 hours for the first time. I had to break out the lorcets and morphine. Thanks guys!!
  2. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

3. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

$730 dollars
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How about a brush cutter, which is really just a heavy duty string trimmer like the Stihl FS-250... I'm suggesting that because it doesn't sound like it's that big of an area, the trimmer would likely run you around $3-400 but I'm guessing.

Because I never knew this but I did realize this year, any of those super powerful trimmers are actually brush cutters,
    which it even says so on the side of the housing lol, but that thing would likely cut through that grass no problem and into the water and what have you.

And sure it would be a bit more work once you get into the thick of the grass what with it being a hand held tool,
    but to even out the score a bit there's not much to transporting it to-from the house or wherever you store it.
    You might even opt for the bicycle handles and the shoulder strap, then you'd be cooking for real. :p
    Now that might run you up towards 4-500 but it's brand new with a warranty and all, just my .02