Help me choose a mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yardfolks, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Yardfolks

Yardfolks LawnSite Member

Sorry I know you guys get tried of this and I have searched old threads. I have checked out all the above mowers. The more I looked the more confused I have become. I already have a 21" Toro 6.5 HP lawn mower and a Murry 3.75 HP. These were a great start but it is time to upgrade. I live in the Mountains so there are may hills. Help me choose a quality walk behind mower. I have been looking at the Quick 36 but I think I want something a little bigger that stripes. So 48" plus around 4000.00 +/- I would perfer not to spend 4000.00 but I plan on doing this for the long run so I would be willing to spend more if need.

Thanks for the help
    Will

2. walk behind

walk behind LawnSite Member

Spend more.........I had a 21" JD self-propelled for 11 years and with the slopes in WNC there was a lot of walking involved and also a 46" JD riding mower. This year I researched mowers on this forum and got an Exmark 17hp KAW 52" walkbehind with the ECS controls........cut my mowing time less than half and it is so much easier to use and I don't even have a striping kit, but can see the stripes in the yard. The cut is excellent, is disburses the clippings so it doesn't even look like you have just mowed, only indication of mowing is the stripes. Pic attached is from my deck June 2004.

mowing.jpg

3. crazy

crazy LawnSite Member

Gravely Pro-G #988103 Gear Drive, Recoil Start, 15 HP Kawasaki Twin Engine, 48" Floating Deck $3,262.98 -walk behind

that is what i would suggest for walk behind use

Gravely 152z ##992081 25 HP Kohler Twin w/ 52" deck, EYE-Q standard $7,342.98 -zero turn

a bit more expensive, but you were talking of the long run, and that mower stripes nicely without the stripping kit

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

get something shiny and new!

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

maybe look at a cub!!!!!!

6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

Get a bob cat or exmark!!! The quality of cut on the new bab cat's is absoutly unreal, I was blown away by it. The Exmarks are also very nice machines, they cut very well in wet grass and disperse clippings great.

7. MMB

MMB LawnSite Member

I have been mowing in asheville area for 17 yrs my pick is toro walk behind

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If its kind of hilly there where you are ask walk behind and mmb if they use a gear drive or hydro drive machine. If you are cutting alot of hills I know its more money but I think the hydro would be the way to go. I have a scag and a toro, both are gear drives but the toro has the T- Bar system and is so much nicer to operate than the scag with pistol grip controls. Check and see what dealers are in your area and maybe work out a demo to try on some of your properties and see which works best for you. Most any of the major brands of mowers give a good cut, I think it comes down to the dealer and service for your area.

9. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag or Bobcats have awesome walk behinds that cut great and stripe very well

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a look at the gravely pro H with pro steer controls. it looks like a very tough machine.