1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose fertilizer for Emerald Zoysia

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by josh5808, Oct 15, 2010.

1. josh5808

josh5808 LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

This summer, I put down 3 pallets of Emerald Zoysia. I live just north of Atlanta, GA by the way.

The grass was doing excellent all summer long. Now, my 4 dogs have left spots everywhere from using it as a potty :cry:.

I want to fertilize it to help bring the spots back and, since it is beginning to get cold, I thought it would be a good idea to fertilize it so it will be healthy next year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the right type of fertilizer to use?

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Milorganite and 10~10~10 seems to work. I have a couple of customers with dog urine issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 LawnSite Bronze Member

4 dogs? Man that's gonna be hard long term if they're big ones. In a nutshell, zoysia fert program is opposite of TTTF. AFTER you do a soil test and correct the pH, I recommend a fert high in potassium (last number on bag). Don't know what is available at big box stores. I personally wouldn't use a lot if nitrogen on zoysia this time if year. Water the daylights out of the urine spots. If these areas become the dogs favorites, kiss that area goodbye. I have a customer with only 2 dogs and they have ruined the back yard with urine. Have a great day.

4. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

Got to walmart look in the pet section. They have some kinda spray for these urine spots and its very cheap. I think it neutralizes the acid levels in the urine. Not sure on the exact details but I think its worth a few bucks to try it out
    Posted via Mobile Device