Help me choose my first ztr (detailed)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buddha92SLC, May 16, 2008.

1. Buddha92SLC

Buddha92SLC LawnSite Member

I'm having a hard time narrowing down my selections for my first mid-size ZTR purchase. I've researched tons of different manufacturers and went to each dealer in my area that carried each brand. I've narrowed to the following choices based on dealer location and the way I was treated while I was looking and asking questions:

Gravely 148XDZ w/ 21HP Kawi
    Gravely 148M w/19HP Kawi
    Scag Tiger Cub w/ 19HP Kawi 48"
    Scag Tiger Cub w/ 23HP Kohler 48"
    Ferris IS1500Z w/ 21HP Kawi 48"
    Exmark Lazer Z HP w/19HP Kawi 46"
    Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ 23HP Kawi 46"
    Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ 23HP Kawi 50"
    Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ 23HP Kohler 52"
    Toro Z400 w/ 21HP Kawi 48"
    Toro Z450 w/ 23HP Kawi 48"

The reason I can't narrow down any further is my lack on knowledge in engine choices and deck designs. I've never owned or used one of these machines. I only use a catcher on my walk behind when the grass is too tall to side discharge.

All of these companies offer bagging capabilites. Is the 19HP enough to drive one of these units. If not, are the other models able to handle the ability to power the vacuum unit on the baggers? Do any companies sell catchers like I have on my wb for these units that are a lot cheaper? The bagging systems range from $1500-$2000! I really just need a simple catcher.

I'm interested to hear any information that you may be able to give or explain experiences with these brands. I'd like to narrow down to 4 machines then demo each machine and make a choice.

Thanks for all of your insight and experienced advice.
    Zac

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Sent you a p.m. - check it out !!!! :usflag:

3. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

exmark and toro are pretty much the same. how hilly is the stuff u mow cause ferris will than be best for you.... i really like exmark for the stuff i mow but i do use a friends Ferris for hilly proporties an i love it......

4. 19-SAH-98

19-SAH-98 LawnSite Member

How about this....cut everything off the list that doesn't have a Kaw. motor.

All of the brands listed are good or really good (IMO).

I'd say the Ferris is the best, but the dealer is huge, ask them how much they charge to work on your machine and what they are going to do when you MUST have it fixed in a hurry.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Exmark Lazer Z HP w/ 23HP Kawi 50"

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a Dixon dealer in your area ??

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually it should be the other way around. We wont buy anything any longer if it doesnt have a kohler.

Anyway my vote goes to the gravelys.

This is how I would order them if I had to list them in order. Notice I deleted the exmark mowers. I deleted the exmarks because of the triton deck.

Gravely 148M w/19HP Kawi
    Toro Z400 w/ 21HP Kawi 48"
    Scag Tiger Cub w/ 19HP Kawi 48"

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with the 52'' exmark with the 23 kohler. And on those you don't have to go with the triton deck you can go with the 3-series, just a thought. But if you are going to get a collection system I would suggest at least 22hp because that system will take off about 2-3hp from the engine. My collection system that I bought for my bob-cat is the best thing on it, it cost about $2000 but it was well worth it, I had a little side bagger for it like on the wb's but that would just fill up way too fast, I would be emptying it about 3-4 times or more per yard, where now I just empty once per yard, usually.

9. Buddha92SLC

Buddha92SLC LawnSite Member

I guess my biggest concern is the ability for the engine to create enough power while creating power for the bagging units. Will the 19HP Kawi have enough power for the mower and bagger? Is anyone using just a catcher that mounts right to the deck? Like a grass gobbler?

10. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would go with an exmark 52" 28hp kawasaki AS series... Great mower