Help me choose!!!! STIHL FC 90 or the REDMAX HE225F

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Which edger is better? and why?...... the STIHL FC90 or the Redmax HE225F
    I have looked at all the majors....ECHO...KAW..SHINDIAWA and I have narrowed my search to the Redmax HE225F or Stihl FC90....give your expert info on either.......thanks!!!!!!!

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Go with Redmax or other 2 cycle equipments. Stay away from hybrid 4 cycles stuff like Stihl 4Mix or Shindaiwa C4. Search through the past threads to read about the hybrids to learn more.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I own both. The stihl has alittle more power. The only thing I do not like about the remax is the skidplate, I seem to go through a couple a year. If you need power I would say go with stihl, but my redmax is about 4 years old and still runs like a champ.

4. Big C

anyone else??????????

5. yungman

from Calif.

I am just currious, would you consider a Mantis or Honda mini tiller and buy the edger attachment? I was looking at you equipment list, with the tiller, you can add to the list a cultivator, optional aerator, dethratcher and even a hedge trimmer together with the edger if you buy the attachments. It might cost you a little more to start but you will be opening the door to something you don't have. The 2 cycle Mantis is less than $300.

The two you named has a big difference in the engine size!!!! I would also consider Honda stick edger if you want power. As I already said, think twice before getting a hybrid 4 cycle because of the extra maintenance requirements due to valves deposit problem......Read posts on this.

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The mantis would not be practical for daily edging in a lawn service capacity. At least that is the case here in FL, where you have to edge every time you do the lawn. A dedicated edger is a must.

Given your choices that you stated above, I would get the redmax. Stihl 4 cycle blows.

Maybe see if any dealers have any leftovers from last year. I got an ECHo PE260 last spring for $275, brand new...

I would buy the Mantis anyway cause they are awesome machines and very handy....

7. yungman

from Calif.

What is the difference in Florida? I live in the bay area and I honestly never see people using an edger!!!! I am not a pro, I am just asking a question. I saw everyone just turn the string trimmer straight up and use it as an edger!!!

I kind of think that the Mantis is a little slow because of the gear reduction. I just looked at his equipment list and notice he does not have a hedge trimmer either, that is the reason I come up with this idea. Perhaps a multi tool edger with hedge clipper attechment will be an idea!!! Just a though.

I heard a lot of good things about RedMax, I almost bought the BCZ3001S trimmer. That will be my choice of brand. I like the Echo with original Power Boost Tornado engines with two rings. The one you suggested PE260 is with the 2 rings Tornado engine. I would let other people test the new single ring Vortex engine before I put my money. I would let people test out any new products period!!!! I contributed my money on testing the hybrid 4 cycle engine by buying a Shindaiwa C4 blower already:cry::cry::cry:

8. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

The valve problem has been fixed, the Stihls are running fine. I've got a 4 mix and love its power, it just gets a little heavier than a 2 stroke after a while. Personally I dont mind that, but I know weight is a concern for some people

9. Big C

O.k I think I have ruled out the Stihl and will reconsider the Echo PE-230 or 260 along with the Redmax 225F don't know which one. I want to decide pretty quick....

10. yungman

from Calif.

I am talk about the general problem of hybrid 4 cycle where you have oil in the gas which leave deposit upon burning. This is not a problem of Stihl alone, Shindaiwa C4 also. You have to use particular oil( full synthetic), you have to decarbon. Decarboning is not that easy since mix cycle through the crankcase. The normal easy way of decarboning like spray water into the carb and rev the engine will not be a good idea!!! Using Sea Foam is about the only other least intrusive way. Stihl even recommend using their own decarbon solution where you have to put it in, let it sit and clean. They are corrosive!!! With all the 2 cycles around why ask for more trouble. Read all the past threads!!! If insisting on 4 cycles, Honda will be good. Separate oil, no oil to burn, water decarbonize!!!

For people that like to put more oil than 50:1, don't even think about it!!!! That will be a no no on hybrid 4 cycles. I monitor my C4 closely, I notice a lot of black deposit in the exhause port and muffler with only 2 tank of gas where my Echo hedge trimmer was clean using the same mix.