help me choose the best weed whacker.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dayoo0, May 20, 2012.

1. dayoo0

dayoo0 LawnSite Member

This is my 1st post, be kind please.

I recently bought a roybi weed whacker from home depot for 110, i later find out that its going to over-heat when running for extended periods of time & also that it only runs on half choke or whatever.

i called home depot up and they said that they dont even have any weed whackers that are meant to run for 8 hrs a day.

my question is what weed whacker can i get that will be able to last 8 hours a day 7 days a week. id prefer if it came with a warranty, where could i get it at also.

thanks.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Any commercial unit made by one of many manufacturers. Echo
    -redmax-stihl etc etc etc

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

If you are honestly going to run it 56 hours a week then a stihl fs250r is the only one that will last. I have some that are three and four years old and they still run like new. I got tired of buying new trimmers every year so I switched to this model and couldn't be more happy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Why would u be buying equipment from homedepot if you mowing/trimming 8hrs a day 5 days a week?

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you have a phone book or internet access?

A local commercial equipment dealer would be a good place to start looking.

The difference between a $100 Home Depot trimmer and a $300 commercial trimmer is the difference between a butter knife and a steak knife when you're cutting into a thick T-bone.
    Don't buy a butter knife to cut a steak.

p.s.
    I burned up a TroyBuilt when I started up. Best thing that could have happened, since it prompted me to buy a Stihl. (FS90R)

6. dayoo0

dayoo0 LawnSite Member

because i just turned 18 and i thought that home depot had everything i needed for everything.

im trying to start a landscaping business and im looking for the most durable longest lasting equiptment

7. dayoo0

dayoo0 LawnSite Member

thank you, i have the feeling that buying any stihl commerical grade trimmer will work, i think ill get the fs 250 R

8. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

you do admit you are young...you will learn soon quality at a higher upfront price means money saved in the long run....never buy cheap tools no matter what kind of tool it is does not matter if its a lawn tool or a mechanics tool

it sucks buying the same tool 2 or 3 times

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

First of all...if you're looking to get in the business, it's called a string trimmer or just a trimmer...not a weed whacker.

You're running a trimmer for 8 straight hours every day and you've just started out? How many clients do you have? That's a hell of a lot of trimming for just starting out.

Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Kawasaki, Shindaiwa...It's six of one half dozen of the other. Pick a brand that has good dealer support near you.

Personally, I run a Kawasaki trimmer and a Sithl fc90 edger.

I ran a Ryobi for many years...still have it in fact and it still runs (the damn thing won't die!). It has been converted to hedge trimming duty this year since I don't trim hedges on a weekly basis. I bought it 7 years ago to use on my personal yard and started using it for my part time business. I have slowly been converting my equipment to commercial grade stuff as I can afford it. Commercial equipment is leaps and bounds ahead of Homeowner grade stuff.