Help me convince my boss we need a GFL

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jun 16, 2013.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Also I need him to start using flow control valves..

The way I am trying to convince is just not sinking in..
    The dude is just stubborn..

We have a Giant 4'' main for a large commercial site..Lots of valve in head...The system hasn't been turned on in a few years...I took a sneak peak of it a while ago..and its in rough shape....numerous valves not ohming out..

my guess is there are a few breaks in the wiring and then some..

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you can bill time and material, who cares how long it takes? payup

3. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the flow control valves, but we have not had a wiring issue that could not be repaired in 15 years with no Ground Fault Locator.

Now, it is one of those items on my wish list yet the guys when asked said they did not feel it was something they needed.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

That's kind of a piss poor attitude there Boots. The client certainly will mind and if it's a good client why take advantage and run the risk of making them mad? Get a GFL, troubleshoot the wiring efficiently and the client pays a fair price and the contractor makes a fair profit. I'd rather be fair with people and get repeat business then screw people over and never get to work for them again.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I have a GFL 3000.

Sprinkus has a GFL 3000.

We can both find faults with our Pro 800s but WHY, when it is faster with the right tools.

Having the right tools just makes sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One question is, is there a state of wiring damage where you'd be better off starting over with new wire?

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I've got the Armada GFL and it's been out of the truck 1 time in the last 4 years. I can usually find a fault just fine with the 521 or the distance is so short it's easier/faster to just pull a new wire.

Big commercial I'd probably feel differently though.

8. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I got in an argument when my boss told me we don't have to test backflows because they are patented.:hammerhead:

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Consider the source, you guys winterize with roofing compressors. :hammerhead:
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Who was it Dana that said give it two weeks and you'll be pushing a lawnmower. Maybe ill go to work with Mitchigo :dancing: