Help Me Convince My Wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by opher, May 31, 2006.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Please tell her that I could be home earlier if she would let me buy a brown bed edger!! Please give me some examples on the time savings this unit will bring me,and how fast this can pay for itself.

Thanks Guys,
    :weightlifter:
    OPHER

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

< - owner snip ->

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Never used one to cut grass with, Don't know how much faster it would be than my mowers

Never drove one so I also don't know if it would be faster than my truck or not.

Not sure what you want it compared to.

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well convince us with alot more detail. If that is your presentation at home all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

5. opher

opher LawnSite Member

700 feet of edging with a spade vs. bed edger

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not worth buying if you are only doing 700 foot

Sorry:laugh: are you about fed up with our smart ### remarks.

Put together a business plan for the use of the tool for the year or even 2+ years. To be honest if all you do is a few jobs with it, it may be better to rent. Sorry that does not help with the wife but for a tool that sits most of the time, Do the math.

7. opher

opher LawnSite Member

You guys arnt helpin me here, I just think it would be a good asset to my inventory, i'm sure this piece of equipment would pay for itself within a years worth of time.
    :weightlifter:
    OPHER

8. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with PMLAWN on this one (sorry). Renting seems to be the best for you at this time. Until you have enough jobs lined up that can justify buying one, just rent and save a bit of money. It's kind of a compromise. Renting is better then not having one at all and using a spade. A happy (kind of) medium!

9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

"you could have been half way done if you would have just grabbed the spade and started edging." That's what my wike said to me about the same thing. so we comprimised, we bought a redmax reciprocator for edging. costs much less then a bed edger but can still do alot of edging in no time.gl

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes but I'm not about to sell a piece of myself to convince your wife out of all people of this idea of yours, of which it appears none of us are too sure, likely the reason your wife is leery as well. I snipped my first post because I didn't want to ruin things for you, but I'm not about to mess with your wife either.

I know this doesn't help, but at least the message is still clear and as you can see, you can usually rely on these guys to not feed you a bunch of bull. Even if we know what it is you want, smart business owners put need before want and it appears we miss the logic some.

As for faster, a time-saver? No, I can trench as fast with a shovel and barrow, the only thing the edger does is save my back, in that sense we all have to or at least had to do the dirty for a few years until we could afford not to.

Ohhhh, there is one more thing:
    NEVER buy a piece of equipment that will pay for itself later.
    Either you have the money or you don't, and if you don't have the cash to spare, then you don't need it.
    So, trench with the shovel to earn the money for the edger :)